Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 Spyder GT
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was reading a post where some one had a cracked dash and said they will live with it due to the cost of replacement and the work it take it install . That`s when the power went out. Logging back in I could not find that post . I had the same problem where my dash was cracked in two places . I ordered a new skin from Rockauto.com and this is the results after installation ...

Car Speedometer Vehicle Steering part Motor vehicle

This was very easy to install and no one is the wiser unless I tell them... If your dash is cracked this is a simple fix and really not that expensive ...

·
Registered
2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
14 Posts
Didn't know they made these; thanks for the link. Did you ever run a mat on the old cracked one and would you recommend a mat at all? Also does the new dash use existing hardware or does it come with screws and connectors? (Have never pulled the dash)

·
Premium Member
2001 Spyder GT
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do not like the velour dash mats... They never stay in place and the sticky Velcro that`s used always lets go under the hot sun.. The dash kit i installed is made from ABS plastic and held in place with silicon .The instruction are very simple to follow and there are no screws involved .I did mine on my own but it would help if you had a friend to assist you. The outcome is awesome and no one will no the difference as you can see in my picture . I also did my own interior and convertible top
Land vehicle Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Land vehicle Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
2003 Mitsubishi eclipse gts
7 Posts
https://www.covercraft.com/us/en/product/velourmat-custom-dash-cover.DMV I'm pretty sure this is it. Only around 52.00. A pop up in the beginning gives you a chance to get free shipping. Make sure when you get it to follow the instructions on laying it out flat and where to place the velcro on your dash. Cut tbevelcro into small pieces and place them all over the grooves of the dash. I think mine is beautiful! Let me know what you think if you get one after the install. They custom make them so it takes a while to get it. Here is the link to the custom sunshade if you want one too: Intro-Tech Ultimate Reflector Sun Shade

·
Registered
7 Posts
You said that you also did your convertible top? What all did that involve? My top has some leaks and I am wondering if something like this would help.

Also, I love your seats. Where can I get something like that? Did you buy the whole seats or just have your original seats covered?

Also, do you know where to get new weatherstripping? My car is leaking around both doors and the top. I'm having to keep a car cover over it when it rains.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Fergie91

I do not like the velour dash mats... They never stay in place and the sticky Velcro that`s used always lets go under the hot sun.. The dash kit i installed is made from ABS plastic and held in place with silicon .The instruction are very simple to follow and there are no screws involved .I did mine on my own but it would help if you had a friend to assist you. The outcome is awesome and no one will no the difference as you can see in my picture . I also did my own interior and convertible top
View attachment 44206
View attachment 44207 View attachment 44206 View attachment 44207

·
Premium Member
2001 Spyder GT
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well @fergie91 ..yes I did replace my top and it is better to leave this to a professional installer . I have been an upholsterer for over 45 years so installing that top was like changing my socks . My seat are done in a tan velour with suede inserts that I also did myself. As far as your top leaking ( if there are no holes or rips ) I suggest applying a coat of 303 Fabric Guard to reseal that top .
Just pour the fabric guard into a small container and use a three inch paint brush to apply.. The 32oz bottle is plenty enough to get that top like new again.. As far as your seals go .. good luck finding new ones.. I have no clue if they are even available ..
I have added a link where you can get this stuff and a video of a young man explaining what needs to be done .. Just do what he did and you will be very impressed with the outcome ... Best of luck
https://www.amazon.ca/303-30606-Fabric-Trigger-Sprayer/dp/B00KMYYQ36

·
Premium Member
2001 Spyder GT
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought a custom dash mat and custom sunshade. Both made a beautiful combination and provided my best solution against current cracks and Arizona sun and heat😎. View attachment 44217
You must love your doggy very much... By this picture I can tell you have a gentle spirit ... Was this your replacement for your car alarm ... LOL just kidding Babybee ..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well @fergie91 ..yes I did replace my top and it is better to leave this to a professional installer . I have been an upholsterer for over 45 years so installing that top was like changing my socks . My seat are done in a tan velour with suede inserts that I also did myself. As far as your top leaking ( if there are no holes or rips ) I suggest applying a coat of 303 Fabric Guard to reseal that top .
Just pour the fabric guard into a small container and use a three inch paint brush to apply.. The 32oz bottle is plenty enough to get that top like new again.. As far as your seals go .. good luck finding new ones.. I have no clue if they are even available ..
I have added a link where you can get this stuff and a video of a young man explaining what needs to be done .. Just do what he did and you will be very impressed with the outcome ... Best of luck
https://www.amazon.ca/303-30606-Fabric-Trigger-Sprayer/dp/B00KMYYQ36
Thank you for the response. I didn't think of waterproofing the top. There are not any tears or holes in the top in fact, it still looks like it's new. You did a wonderful job on your top. My late Father-In-Law was an upholsterer by trade. He ran his own business for over 40 years. I very much respect what you do as it takes a great amount of talent. Thank you again. Fergie91

·
Premium Member
2001 Spyder GT
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for the kind words @fergie91 .. Sometimes I feel like Rodney Dangerfield " A fellow can`t get no respect around here " I had people bring me seats that they tore apart thinking they could do them on their own.. Once a fellow brought me a top he tried to do and he cut the tension cable above the side windows . I had a fellow that tore his cabin cruiser apart thinking this is how you get the sofa out of the boat.. He did not know that the sofa itself can be disassembled .. I hate seeing people destroy there property because they want to save money.. Can`t blame any one for that but it ends up costing them more in the long run.. I can not stress enough .. leave this work to the professional..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you for the kind words @fergie91 .. Sometimes I feel like Rodney Dangerfield " A fellow can`t get no respect around here " I had people bring me seats that they tore apart thinking they could do them on their own.. Once a fellow brought me a top he tried to do and he cut the tension cable above the side windows . I had a fellow that tore his cabin cruiser apart thinking this is how you get the sofa out of the boat.. He did not know that the sofa itself can be disassembled .. I hate seeing people destroy there property because they want to save money.. Can`t blame any one for that but it ends up costing them more in the long run.. I can not stress enough .. leave this work to the professional..

Don't worry. My forte is electronics and general mechanics. Note bodywork. I know enough about bodywork to leave it alone and have someone trained and experienced in that area handle it. I (like you) have fixed other people's issues where they took something apart and then brought it to me because they bit off more than they could chew. It's never fun to put someone else's puzzle together.

Have a great day.

Fergie91

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an 03 stratus rt coupe and have an issue where the vinyl dash cover warped and shrank to the point my defroster wouldn't clear the windshield because it was curled up by the vent.. so I took it out to recover with some headliner material (for padding) which is glued on already then I was gna follow up with some black vinyl from joann but im pretty sure its not gna conform like I want. Anyone know if there is a molded vinyl covering like factory (not just a mat) that is available? Also i got mice in the hvac box and had to clean it out but heater core and evaporater r clogged with lint and mouse piss. Im need to replace both hvac heat exchangers and find a decent dash solution before weather gets cold. Any input is appreciated.

·
Low and Slow.
1,860 Posts
I have an 03 stratus rt coupe and have an issue where the vinyl dash cover warped and shrank to the point my defroster wouldn't clear the windshield because it was curled up by the vent.. so I took it out to recover with some headliner material (for padding) which is glued on already then I was gna follow up with some black vinyl from joann but im pretty sure its not gna conform like I want. Anyone know if there is a molded vinyl covering like factory (not just a mat) that is available? Also i got mice in the hvac box and had to clean it out but heater core and evaporater r clogged with lint and mouse piss. Im need to replace both hvac heat exchangers and find a decent dash solution before weather gets cold. Any input is appreciated.
Though the same mechanically, the only thing the 03-05 Stratus Coupe interior shares with the Eclipse is the door panels. Your best bet is to track down a junked 03-05 Stratus or Sebring coupe and grab the dash out of that. You'll likely have to reglue it, but hopefully it wont be as shrunk as much.

I helped someone years ago do a swap to a black dash from their taupe, and we had to repair it before hand. Good glue, clamps, and weight and let it cure for a day.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Though the same mechanically, the only thing the 03-05 Stratus Coupe interior shares with the Eclipse is the door panels. Your best bet is to track down a junked 03-05 Stratus or Sebring coupe and grab the dash out of that. You'll likely have to reglue it, but hopefully it wont be as shrunk as much.

I helped someone years ago do a swap to a black dash from their taupe, and we had to repair it before hand. Good glue, clamps, and weight and let it cure for a day.
Thanks. I think I may have some structural problems because the bar under the dash is acting like its under stress when I try to remove it... almost like the body wants to fold in on itself. Ever experience that?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts