Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I noticed this morning, that my car temp was raising a bit more then it normally does and I wasn't driving any different so I popped the hood and started looking around. I heard and hissing sound and eventually noticed that there was a crack in the top of my radiator. Coolant was bubbling out of it.. mind you, it was a very small crack and it wasn't that much coolant coming out at all, but still.... there's a crack in it. My question, would it be wise to try and patch it up somehow untl I have the money for a performance radiator? i figure I should get something a bit better than OEM since I have a few mods and could use a bit of extra cooling. Someone please help me!!!!

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
If its cracked in the epoxy. You could try to get some JB weld and patch it. Make sure that you clean the area off very well with a solvent. To get any grease off and make that the crack is dry. Then follow the JB weld directions. Try it and see if it works. it would be temporary at best.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, it's not in the epoxy, it's in the top part close to where the hose connects to the radiator itself. It sucks though 'cause I don't have the money to get it replaced.... unless I attempt the install myself. I'll see if I can find a how-to on the site somewhere. If I can't does anyone know how long it would take for me to swap it out and how exactly I could do it?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I'll see what I can do. I'll have to use my phone, so it won't be great, but you should be able to see it. I'll try to take the picture when I'm on lunch.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I had the same thing happen a few months back. I ended up just replacing it with a newer model (dual core instead a single core).

shouldn't take but an hour.
Unconnect the plug to the fans.
Remove the upper and lower hoses (and possible replace the stock clamps with the banded type)
If an Automatic, remove the the two lines for the tranny cooler.
Unbolt the radiator supports (at the top of the radiator).
Pull out the radiator.

Swap the fans over to the new one.

re-install all hardware.

My replacement cost about $200, and arrived the next day.
I just went to the gas-station/repair shop/tire-shop/radiator-repair shop/and the list goes on.

Not that hard of a job, just a little messy.

Oh, and make sure to catch all radiator fluids (enviromental issue).

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, there's a few places around here that I know sells them. I could order one online as well and I was thinking of going with a Koyo one since I heard they doo a very good job. I've just never changed one before so I wasn't sure. I took the pics of the crack, but the internet at work won't let us view certain types of websites, and image hosting sites is one of them. I will post the pics once I get off work. I'll also try to find a link for a Koyo one and maybe you guys could give me some feed back on it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I had this problem..was a hairline crack, bought some radiator repair plastic.. repaired the radiator.No leaks... it was like 115 dllrs. sure beas buying a new one.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow... you paid $115 for a repair kit? Damn, why not just get a new radiator online for like 120 and just put it in yourself? The crack I have is a hairline crack as well. I took some pics, but you can't see it so there isn't much of a point in posting them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts