Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a replacement crank sensor but I have no idea how to replace it and no other site is being helpful. Anybody know how?

·
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi
2,997 Posts
I'll assume you have a V-6 (the I-4 is somewhat similar), since you didn't tell us... The replacement of the crank position sensor shouldn't be too difficult, if you have the right tools. Now my experience is based on a timing belt change. I believe you shouldn't have to remove the timing belt as the crank position sensor bolts are accessible without doing so.... you'll need to rotate the crank (clock-wise only!) by hand to clear the fins of the reluctor wheel of the crank sensor.

Remove passenger front tire, and the two splash guards. The accessory belts and crank pulley need to come off. The crank bolt is torqued to a minimum of 135 ft/lbs. So if you don't have the tools to deal with that, don't even try. Once all that is off, you take off the timing covers (at least the top front and the bottom cover. Note how the crank position sensor wire is routed though the timing belt covers. If you don't route it correctly on install, it will catch on the timing belt and get destroyed... common mistake noobs make. Remove the two bolts of the sensor and it should come right out (move crank as needed to clear reluctor wheel fins). Once you feel the new sensor is in, rotate the crank to confirm reluctor wheel fins do not physically touch the sensor. Then button every back up in reverse order.

Now this should be a fairly easy job if you got the right tools and have some mechanical experience. Again, the timing belt and the motor mount MAY have to come out. I just can't recall right now. You can't half ass this. It has to been done correctly or not at all.

Declaimer: You assume all the risk and any advice I gave is strictly for entertainment purposes ONLY. Download the manual and check out the Eclipse Garage forum for more info.

Good luck and don't f up.

EDIT: Based on this picture, it looks like timing belt removal won't be necessary.

·
Registered
581 Posts
You can unbolt the 2 M6 bolts for the crank sensor and slide it up over the reluctor wheel without rotating the crank at all. Just easier than throwing the balancer back on and turning by hand with the lower cover off.

·
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi
2,997 Posts
You can unbolt the 2 M6 bolts for the crank sensor and slide it up over the reluctor wheel without rotating the crank at all. Just easier than throwing the balancer back on and turning by hand with the lower cover off.
Yeah, I couldn't remember how much room was there until I found that pic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts