Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

This is my first post, so for the hundreds of others that have gone before me thank you for the assistance!

I have a 2003 eclipse spider gs that will turn over and crank but will not start on most occasions.

When it will not start, it does have spark and will fire and run when starter fluid is sprayed directly into the intake. Once it is running it seems to run fine (no loss of power and stays running at stops). It does stutter if I build revs then let off the gas fast (in park or neutral).

My thought is that i can rule out an ECU or sensor issue because spark is being delivered to each plug. I also think I can rule out fuel issues because it runs well and (normally) doesn't have a code/engine light. So I think I am left with an IAC or possible EGR valve.

Are these assumptions correct and is there anything I could be missing?

Also, on a scan tool the MAF and IAT sensors both seem to respond well and give appropriate readings.

·
Pshyc
1,130 Posts
you have a failing fuel pump, or its loosing fuel pressure somewhere. could also be ECU disabling fuel. if it has spark and will start with starting fluid then the problem is either ECU or fuel related. do a fuel pressure test also see if the plug is nice and tight under the seat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
you have a failing fuel pump, or its loosing fuel pressure somewhere. could also be ECU disabling fuel. if it has spark and will start with starting fluid then the problem is either ECU or fuel related. do a fuel pressure test also see if the plug is nice and tight under the seat.
I will check fuel pressure, but I had assumed that would give me more drive-ability issues (weak acceleration) and engine codes.

as far as the plug under the seat, do you mean for the fuel pump under the back seats? I have never messed with it in my car but I didn't know that was true for spiders. That's a good thought. I will look into that as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts