Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2003 GTS 5 speed with a little under 110,000 miles and my cruise control stopped working a few months ago. The cruise light turns on and off properly but it won't engage and hold speed. The car has had nothing modified and besides this, no other issues.

I took a look at the troubleshooting guide found here http://tearstone.com/eclipsefsm/GR00001200-17.pdf and ran the diagnostics found on page 17-8 and it threw the diagnostic code 12 (Vehicle speed signal system <M/T>). I checked all the connections and they look fine, fuses fine, 3rd brake light stock/working, and the clutch switch is fine.

Does anyone have any other suggestions before I take it to the stealership or mechanic? I have an 8 hour trip coming up and cruise would be nice.

Thanks in advance!

·
CreepnIn The Shadows
4,427 Posts
Check the vacuum line going to the cruise control unit.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Checked that. Everything looks good. The hoses don't have holes and everything is connected properly. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
42 Posts
this problem has already been asked. but anyway, if your light is turning on fuse are fine. and as you said about your vacuum line being fine, move on to another possibility. Like the CC module its located on the passenger side,right next to your side mount. And also check if your metal bell attached to your throttle body is good too. goodluck

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
this problem has already been asked. but anyway, if your light is turning on fuse are fine. and as you said about your vacuum line being fine, move on to another possibility. Like the CC module its located on the passenger side,right next to your side mount. And also check if your metal bell attached to your throttle body is good too. goodluck
I had a hard time locating the CC module from the illustrations in the manual. What do you mean by side mount. Thanks!

·
Back from Deployment
2,001 Posts
I only saw one on the clutch and one on the brake?
There are two on the clutch. The start safety switch which ensures the clutch is depressed fully to start the car (this one is the more obvious) and another on waaaaaay up on the bracket where you pretty much have to lay upside down in your front seat with your head under the dash to see. This one is closed when the clutch pedal is fully released, telling the CC that you aren't pressing the clutch.

I'll bet either your pedal is out of adjustment or the switch fell out of the bracket.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There are two on the clutch. The start safety switch which ensures the clutch is depressed fully to start the car (this one is the more obvious) and another on waaaaaay up on the bracket where you pretty much have to lay upside down in your front seat with your head under the dash to see. This one is closed when the clutch pedal is fully released, telling the CC that you aren't pressing the clutch.

I'll bet either your pedal is out of adjustment or the switch fell out of the bracket.
You are a genius! There is a blue rubber bumper up there that is too low and wasn't pressing the switch in when the clutch was disengaged. I was able to push the bumper up just enough to be able to depress the switch. Now I need to figure out how to fix this for good. I have a feeling that blue bumper will fall down again.

Hopefully this helps the next person

imgur: the simple image sharer
Picture 1: Clutch partially engaged - Red arrow is the switch. Grey arrow is the blue bumper that is messed up and failed to press the switch.

imgur: the simple image sharer
Picture 2: Clutch disengaged - Tan arrow is the clutch. Red Arrow is the blue bumper. Green arrow is the switch.

Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Guys what Gfunk said is 100% correct. i just fixed the same problem and it was that damn bumper. i used a plastic pen and shaped to replace that blue bumper.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You are a genius! There is a blue rubber bumper up there that is too low and wasn't pressing the switch in when the clutch was disengaged. I was able to push the bumper up just enough to be able to depress the switch. Now I need to figure out how to fix this for good. I have a feeling that blue bumper will fall down again.

Thanks for all the help!
You can adjust the switch (Black part on the left in the previous image indicated by GREEN arrow.)
Turn it 1/4 of a turn and push in until the tip goes into the switch body, then turn back 1/4 turn to lock back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN BUY THE "BLUE BUMPER", OR IF THERE IS A PART # FOR IT, MINE IS COMPLETELY TORN AND I HAVE NO DOUBT THATS WHY CRUISE ISNT WORKING

PLEASE IF SOMEONE COULD HELP ME WITH THIS.!!!

THANK YOU!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Murkro... LMAO yeah ok

buddd....ummm no, don't have a vacuum gauge to check it with. Plus, pardon me but when I described it n that thread I recall I read the flash one way first then another way the second and both times it was said to be 11 so...ummm hence my confusion. I'm looking and looking at this and viewing the flash pattern and the diagram in the service manual I just don't see how you are coming up with 11 at all.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Dude, we went over this in your thread. It's 11. Did you check the operation of your vacuum pump yet?
Nope, not it. Put in another one, no dice. Your 11 interpretation just doesn't look right as I view the flash pattern. I'll run the video by a tech with the service manual print out PDF see if he can figure it out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts