Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Dr 9023G = SCUM
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had Ripp's Wiseco pistons installed (not frozen). I've heard some people have their pistons Cryo. Frozen.

Does this really help, and is it worth the extra cost?

·
Resident Asshole
6,056 Posts
with the forged pistons you wouldnt think it would be neccessary since i doubt we'll be able to make enough power to break the forged pistons anyways. maybe parts of hte tranny would benefit though

you need to sign onto aim :squint:

·
Dr 9023G = SCUM
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a manual trans with ACT Racing clutch and Kaaz LSD, so I think I covered there.

Real question is at what point if any is there a benefit to Freezing the Pistons? I will be running around 20lbs. of boost when fully tuned.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I have the stock rods balanced and frozen as well as the gears in the tranny. The pistons I am using are the RIPP 9.2:1 (not frozen).

·
2k1 GT @ 8psi
357 Posts
About how much does this cryo freezing go for??? I have heard about it all over but haven't found a price yet...

·
Patriot Performance
3,457 Posts
I think you will be alright without freezing your pistons Ron. Its more of a extra precaution. I have never looked into freezing pistons for a motor build, but I would like to know how much strength we are talking though. Cost would be good to know also. I will most likely freeze everything when I do my SDS build, just for shits a giggles.

·
Dr 9023G = SCUM
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For those who have Frozen there components, please post up on cost and if they've noticed any improvements?

·
Registered
970 Posts
Rulez said:

Thy did all of my internals for me and several of my friends have used them. They are excellent to work with, fair pricing, and they still call me all the time just to follow up and see if I need anything else done.

i can't say enough good things about them !!!

·
Zed oh six
6,234 Posts
npeifer said:
Thy did all of my internals for me and several of my friends have used them. They are excellent to work with, fair pricing, and they still call me all the time just to follow up and see if I need anything else done.

i can't say enough good things about them !!!
I called them once a while back and was absolutely shocked at how nice they were. The sure is a rarity to encounter in this type of hobby :lol:

·
2k1 GT @ 8psi
357 Posts
Alright I just emailed 300 Below and got some prices!! Very good prices!! He quoted me $7.50/ rod and then $3.50/pound for gears, shafts, and bearings, and turbochargers and superchargers. And the last quote was $575 for the whole engine. Seems like it is farely cheap if it really does work. I talked to Robert Reed. He was very nice and good to work with. Check it out!! 300 Below

·
Registered
581 Posts
since this sems to be a good option why not just get the stock rods and pistons cryo treated? if your looking to run no more then 15psi... would that be a wise option instead of spending 1000+/- for forged pistons and rods

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
I would say if you are hitting in the range of about 400whp.

Getting 1st and 2nd gear cryo frozen would be a good idea. As well as doing to the stock rods and front axles if you don't want to spend $1000-3500 for expensive axles.

·
Registered
321 Posts
The place that built my driveshaft for my racecar also does cryo. When I had my custom aluminum driveshaft built, they cryo'd it for $85 I think.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts