Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the wiring harness to bypass my infinity amp. I don't want to buy a new amp, so I have already run new wires that will connect the HU to the existing speaker wires where the infinity amp is. I would really prefer to add these wires to the car side of the harness behind the HU as opposed to connecting directly to the wires on the HU side of the harness. There are plenty of empty slots for them, but I don't know where to find the metal clips that I need to put on the end of the wires. Does anyone know what they are called and what size they are? I've tried Radio Shack and a local hardware store, but found nothing. I'm trying to find them online, but I don't know what to search for.

Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
I bought the wiring harness to bypass my infinity amp. I don't want to buy a new amp, so I have already run new wires that will connect the HU to the existing speaker wires where the infinity amp is. I would really prefer to add these wires to the car side of the harness behind the HU as opposed to connecting directly to the wires on the HU side of the harness. There are plenty of empty slots for them, but I don't know where to find the metal clips that I need to put on the end of the wires. Does anyone know what they are called and what size they are? I've tried Radio Shack and a local hardware store, but found nothing. I'm trying to find them online, but I don't know what to search for.

Thanks

Is the pigtail the round plug with 6 prongs and all the wires enclosed in the black housing, or the rectangular plug with all of the wires connected individually?
Let me clarify. Pigtail connectors are the connectors that you use to connect your new speaker wire with the wires that are coming out of the back of the head unit for your speakers. I thought this is what you meant by "the metal clips that I need to put on the end of the wires".

If you are bypassing your stock amp, you will not need the round plug with the 6 prongs in it. The only thing you will need the square one for is power and antenna and remote and that stuff. Find out what colors from your head unit go to what speaker, and wire those directly to your stock speakers (or the speaker wire that comes from your stock speakers into your amp)

Your best bet would be not to run new speaker wire. The 6 prong circular plug will send signal to your amp and the speakers will get nearly the same power that they would from your head unit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I already ran the speaker wires from the dash to the amp area. I could connect them directly to the hu wires, but that would make things more difficult if/when it comes time to get a new car (and I'm not comfortable soldering in that small of a space). Like you said, the plug that's in the car is only used for power, ground and 2 others. I want to add the speaker wires to the empty spaces in that plug. I'm looking for the female terminal ends that hold the wires in the plastic plug. I realize that there are other ways to go about doing the hu install, but I like the finesse/cleanliness/professional style (not quite sure best way to say it) of this solution best. Sorry to be a pain. I just didn't think it would be this hard to find these.

·
Registered
29 Posts
How is running new speaker wire easier and cleaner than plugging 4 rca's into your head unit and plugging that short cord into the cord that plugged into your stock head unit? You are just creating more work for yourself by doing this.
Amazon.com: Metra 70-7003 Radio Wiring Harness for Mitsubishi Amp Integr: Car Electronics This is the only thing you need in order to wire up your new head unit to stock speakers. It doesn't matter if you are using your head unit or the stock amp for power. It is going to sound the same.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I get that. But the 70-7001 is already soldered to my hu and I don't feel like buying the 70-7003 and starting over. It doesn't seem like it should be this hard... All I need are a few terminal ends.

·
lit up
4,334 Posts
^ nope.. he wants to add pins the oem plug, which imo, is a waste of time..

but if you really must do it, i'd recommend getting a fully populated plug from the junk yard, and use the pins out of that.. but if you must buy new pins, i'd still recommend getting some sort of harness to de-pin first to get all the dimensional info you'll need to order replacements..

i'm sure mouser/digikey/future sells a variation of pin that will work in the harness, it's just a matter of taking the time to locate it...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Easy Solution

For anyone that would like to use this technique to wire up their HU... the harness that is attached to the amp has all of the pins I needed and more. Even better, they are the same wires that run to the speakers, so they are the same colors. Since the amp is being removed, all of these pins are now extra parts. The pins are easy to remove from the plug with a very small flathead screwdriver from the front of the plug (the side without the wires). Push aside the small tab holding the pin in place, and it slides right out. Just make sure you put the right wire in the right place when you add them to the harness behind the HU.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts