Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright to finish off my engine build, etc... I have to get a new upper intake pipe. It has to run from the Supercharger to the Throttlebody. I was looking to make it a "L" bend tube or 90 degree tube. About 6"x17", with a O.D. of 3". Made of 6061-T6 Aluminum. The slight hitch I'm running into is: what thickness/guage should the intake pipe be? .065"-16 or something more along the lines of .125". I know that bending will weaken/stretch the metal at the outer part of the bend, so a thicker tube would be more desiable, right? Also something to handle 30psi of boost. Also I will need about 2x 3/8" holes drilled and threaded there. One for a IAT sensor and another for the methanol injection nozzle. To top it off a install of my new Tial 50mm BOV ( :fever: )

Also, would you recommend to make some hangers for it or let the two couplers support it.

Here is a better understanding of what i am talking about to sort of vizulize it.

So if anyone knows a place I can order this kind of alumnium online or over the phone that would be great.

Also if any of the shop owners wanted to do some custom work, let me know. I would basically need the alumnium tube, two holes drileld and threaded, a BOV flange welded on aluminum to aluminum welding (hard to find good welders) , and a bead made around to edges for the couplers.

·
Registered
209 Posts
how do you like you r sc. i have heard bad thing but i want to get one. what headers and exhaust do you have and is it too loud for you? sry to ask on your forum but i asked a little time ago and no one ansewer me and closed it. can you help me and am not look for a fight with turbo and sc.

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
onefastgts said:
how do you like you r sc. i have heard bad thing but i want to get one. what headers and exhaust do you have and is it too loud for you? sry to ask on your forum but i asked a little time ago and no one ansewer me and closed it. can you help me and am not look for a fight with turbo and sc.
I will just send you a PM, since I don't want to clutter the board with this, rather keep it on subject in this thread.

·
Turbo Buick > you
1,336 Posts
Before i tore my engine bay apart, i had my piping run straight back then 90* left then into the TB.... it worked pretty well.

But my new setup is gonna be tricky.... Im gonna fabricate 3" aluminum piping for my setup. My dad actually showed me Copper insulated piping that he had which may be REALLY cool to keep the temperatures down. Gotta love have a plumber as a dad ;)

·
Lance Corporal
3,953 Posts
There was someone on here that used an Injen intake to make a suck through kit kinda like your trying to do. Lok around here and youll find it.

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
McLarenross said:
There was someone on here that used an Injen intake to make a suck through kit kinda like your trying to do. Lok around here and youll find it.
That would be pretty pointless to destroy a intake for this reason.

·
Turbo Buick > you
1,336 Posts
Do this

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Anyone have suggestion as to what gauge/thickness of pipe to use? .125" or .065" And have it 3" O.D.

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tearstone said:
Hrmm you could find that at Autozone in the exhaust section, or I can order you a 90 degree bend from Vibrant.
Unless Autozone started to order in 6061-T6 Aluminum tubing I doubt I can get it there.

if you can get something like that let me know Russ.

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tearstone said:
You want 6061-T6 Aluminum tubing, why on earth do you need that?
As opposed to using what grade of aluminum, it has to be alumium sicne my BOV flange is alumnium.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts