Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
New To Site
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the look of the Duraflex Sideskirts you can buy from Bodykits.com that has a vent in the rear half ... I did buy a set but I could not use them because there is no way to mount them other than a lot of bodywork. The amount of work needed to be done is above my skill level. SO... I created a vent using cardboard construction and colored it for visualization. I would use 3/16ths Aluminum plate to build the body of the vent and wire mesh in the back ..I would need to cut a hole in my original side skirt to mount these so I will get my good buddy Fred ( has lathe and other machine type equipment ) to help me build my vents . This way if I`m not happy with the overall look of the vents we creat then the project goes out the window ..

·
New To Site
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is a picture of the side skirt effect I want. Looks like I have to go back to the drawing board. The slope of the screen in my cardboard vent is wrong..

·
Premium Member
2000 Eclipse GT 5 speed everything is new Custom paint blue black metal flake roof 18" wheels
37 Posts
I like the look of the Duraflex Sideskirts you can buy from Bodykits.com that has a vent in the rear half ... I did buy a set but I could not use them because there is no way to mount them other than a lot of bodywork. The amount of work needed to be done is above my skill level. SO... I created a vent using cardboard construction and colored it for visualization. I would use 3/16ths Aluminum plate to build the body of the vent and wire mesh in the back ..I would need to cut a hole in my original side skirt to mount these so I will get my good buddy Fred ( has lathe and other machine type equipment ) to help me build my vents . This way if I`m not happy with the overall look of the vents we creat then the project goes out the window ..
View attachment 43529
I think you did a very nice job at first glance you wouldn't know it was cardboard.

·
New To Site
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the compliment ..I must have been paying attention in arts and craft class..:LOL::LOL:
I corrected my mistake with the first vent and got the screen facing the correct way...With my card board cut out my friend suggested I make the face plate from 3/16th aluminum and the inside I could fold body metal "" all one piece " and cover with carbon fiber wrap.or use light stainless and polish ..Here are some pictures of the templates I made for this project.. You need to use your imagination here but I`m sure you can see how this would work..
Imagine # 1.... cutout on side skirt
# 2.... Screen
# 3.... vent body
# 4.... Vent face Plate
So to build this vent I need to cut the hole in the skirt...... fold the body on the white lines and add the screen and place in the cutout. ( see Pic ) then mount the face plate with stainless screws....The way that the body is folded it will let the face plate secure the body in place ...

:sneaky:
:sneaky:Notice the fake Nos bottle...

·
Premium Member
2000 Eclipse GT 5 speed everything is new Custom paint blue black metal flake roof 18" wheels
37 Posts
Very cool I'm sorry but and I was checking out your workmanship and you have great potential and there's a lot of money 💰 in fabrication I not trying to be rude at all but what is your trade? Also get yourself a nice little Eastwood break you don't have to spend a ton of money and it's a great way to start your tool collection and before you know it you have a small shop or home shop.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
But start with the home shop get a small break and you can get real detailed with your work and the funny thing is your friends will start saying hey man can you make me this set of hood scoops or a splitter for Downforce every racers
G-Spot, I'm sorry I have been retired far too long and I miss my trade.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
I get to Yadkin and won't shut up. Ok how did do the lines on the one picture that's cool. You have a good eye get you a couple small pieces of Aluminum and some Zinc chromate, and do most of your prep work and sanding before you break your material have it ready for whatever color or texture you want. But make sure on Aluminum before your color you spray the Zinc first as a primer let it dry really well then your color I sure you already know all this I'm sure you don't need some old man telling you anything you got this. I get all worked up and start running my mouth and won't shut the heck up.

·
New To Site
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Thanks for the info.. As far as trades go I am a fully qualified Upholsterer of 45 years...Home ..Office...Marine... Auto .. I also make drapes ..curtains and mend clothing for friends .. I dont think I will be setting up shop as a fabricator.. I`m about to turn 70 and retarded ..I mean retired .... I like to write poetry and also have wrote a few songs...I play guitar.. I have a Gibson Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro .. a Roland Cube 80... all the pedals , bell and whistles and even a SignTwix vocal machine..
I am building myself a little show car... Some thing that really catches the eye , maybe even attract the Lady folk .. I could put her stroller in the trunk and off we go... Just kidding bro...:LOL::LOL::LOL:

This is not my car but a mock up of what I am building...I am also designing a custom paint scheme and I will post my drawings when they are finished ...

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Thanks for the info.. As far as trades go I am a fully qualified Upholsterer of 45 years...Home ..Office...Marine... Auto .. I also make drapes ..curtains and mend clothing for friends .. I dont think I will be setting up shop as a fabricator.. I`m about to turn 70 and retarded ..I mean retired .... I like to write poetry and also have wrote a few songs...I play guitar.. I have a Gibson Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro .. a Roland Cube 80... all the pedals , bell and whistles and even a SignTwix vocal machine..
I am building myself a little show car... Some thing that really catches the eye , maybe even attract the Lady folk .. I could put her stroller in the trunk and off we go... Just kidding bro...:LOL::LOL::LOL:
View attachment 43567
This is not my car but a mock up of what I am building...I am also designing a custom paint scheme and I will post my drawings when they are finished ...
I'm sorry old man I'm a retired Glaser when back in the day in the auto trade when you went to a Upholstery shop you found a Glass shop as well back when I started you took your stuff to the glass shop to get your stuff repaired except on occasion when you would go to a house or business to repair the big stuff but if you wanted glass repaired on a car or truck you dropped it off at the Dealership or glass shop. I started back in the 70s and we would do are work at your local utilities company or the gas company but we took it a step farther and started going to the general publics 3.homes and businesses and do the repairs mobile and made a killing well back then the people I worked for made the killing I made a wage compared to what they probably get nowadays it weren't much.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
When it comes to these little cars I'm usually talking to the younger folks not old farts like us. Here's what I'm working on if I can do this right I'm very new to this stuff so hang in there

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
This is my youngest son's car and I have been restoring this car for 4 1/2 years now unfortunately I have been also fighting with a few health problems and it has really slowed me way down I'm just getting close to the end of this restoration I still have a few more things to finish up with but this last year has been tough on everyone. But a little while back I had my 8th heart surgery and it really has been tough trying to get back in the swing of things and I have not been able to do much work on the car. My Son is a Airline Pilot and flies all over the world 🌎 so I have been trying to finish his car so hopefully I will be able to my old behind back at it soon very soon.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
I would really like to see what you come up with when you finish your project I spent some time on the paint on my son's car it has some flake in it, plus the roof is hard to see in the pictures but it's a super dark black with a lot of black metal flake with a rainbow pearl in it. The day time it's pretty cool looking but at night it really comes to life. I have spent a lot and a mean a lot of my son's money on this car which is a lot of fun I must say but I have touched every single part on this car it's virtually a new car again. I have bought out every Mitsubishi dealer I can come across I even called Moscow Russia chasing a part I'm down to the last part I need but having a very hard time trying to find it that's when I called Moscow it was pretty funny every time the young lady answered the phone she would go through her whole spiel and then I would try to say something in English of course she would hang up on me so I kept trying to call and she would hang up I tried about 8 or 9 times before I gave up but it was pretty funny. Anyway send more pictures of your project.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts