Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
is on a fitness kick
11,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The actual bikes forum doesn't get much traffic, and the cycling crew frequents this forum so I decided it would suit it better than the actual bike forum. :)

I have been out of the biking world for quite sometime and I want to get back into it.

I want a bike for trails on occasion, and more often just riding around town, and urban mountain biking.

I can't spend more than 400-500. My budget is allowing me to get a couple new toys in the next few months :naughty:

I've been looking at the Cannondale F7 Disc... thoughts? They go for around 500.

If you have any suggestions, please post them up. :yesway:

·
Boom
3,411 Posts
I recently bought a GT Avalanche 3.0 disc. It was a 2005 model that never got sold so I got a pretty good deal on it, $350.00. I only do about the same as what you mentioned, some street and light trail riding. So far I can't complain about the bike, it's the 2nd GT I've owned.

Either way though it's good to ask if the store has any unsold older model bikes, basically the same as the new model just alot less cost.

·
is on a fitness kick
11,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put a bid in on a 2007 Kona Cowan on ebay

·
I'm a wheelsucker
11,467 Posts
i am a huge cannondale fan (i have 4) but i dont like the specs on that bike. look for something used with Avid BB7 disc brakes, they are probably the best mechanical brakes on the market. also, in the 500 dollar prive range, i would suggest not getting a brandnew bike but looking for something used on craigslist or ebay. you can usually find some good deals. look for something with at least a shimano lx rear derailuer or a sram x7. post up anything you find and i'll give you an opinion.

·
Exacerbated Member
5,414 Posts
What do you mean the bike forums dont get much traffic.

Mtbr.com Forums

Any way… If all you want to do is light trail and city riding and your budget is that limited, My recommendation would be to start looking for a used hard tail or even a rigid from one of the premier bike manufactures. There are still plenty of these classics available and they ride better look better and are easer to maintain than most all of the new monkey motion contraptions out there. They hold way more respect at the shop and on the trail also.

Its like this … would you rather have a new Hyundai or a well kept 280 SL.

·
is on a fitness kick
11,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I want a hardtail, and by city riding, I don't mean just riding around for distance, I mean jumping stuff, tackling stairs, ect... I really don't need the best, as I don't mind upgrading components as they break, or annoy me enough :)

I hope I win that Kona, but I imagine i won't.

·
is on a fitness kick
11,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
$$$$! :lol:

·
is on a fitness kick
11,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, what do you all think of Scott? When I rode alot, I don't even remember them making bikes.

·
I'm a wheelsucker
11,467 Posts
the made them in the early ninties then stopped selling them in the US. they recently again started selling them here again. their mountain bikes are real nice but more xc oriented than urban. also, they are quite pricy

·
is on a fitness kick
11,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cool. I don't really want a full suspension bike, but from reading, Ibex seem to be pretty decent bikes for the money. Can you comment on that one :D

Sorry if I'm driving you all crazy :lol:

·
I'm a wheelsucker
11,467 Posts
that bike is complete shit. like what was said earlier, dont get a new bike in that price range, look for something a little used but a lot nicer

·
I'm a wheelsucker
11,467 Posts
the kona looks like a good bike for urban freeriding, as in riding stairs, jumps and what-not. however, it is probably slow if you are just riding around, because it has huge heavy tires and only one chainring in the front. if you want something you can ride on trails or thats a little faster, i'd suggest a more cross country oriented bike.

·
is on a fitness kick
11,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Basically what you described in the Kona is mainly what I want. :) I'll be on the street alot more than in the woods.

·
is on a fitness kick
11,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I doubt I win it anyways, I am only bidding to 350, and the seller would be a retard to sell ti for that cheap. :lol:

·
is on a fitness kick
11,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
FUCK he just told me he would sellit outright for 375! I think I might do it tehehe

·
is on a fitness kick
11,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Shit I don't know what to do. He wants 80 for shipping, so all totaled it would be 455 :eek:

1/3 of it's original price

1 - 20 of 32 Posts