Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Xenon Powered
1,049 Posts
I'm wondering if it has some effect with Armor All, if you use it, or some cleaning product you've used.

·
Xenon Powered
1,049 Posts
I think you should be fine after prepping it with the Alcohol. I wouldn't worry to much about it since your painting it anyways.

·
Banned
18,282 Posts
If you're prepping for paint, use acetone rather than alcohol.

Also, the green shouldn't matter anyhow.. you're painting it.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts

:agreed:

Acetone works great as a prep for painting...it's also good for anyone who's rebuilding an engine and wants to clean the varnish off of internal parts...:bigthumb:

·
5-Spd's FTW
1,595 Posts

:agreed:

but test a little bit of the acetone on the back side of the piece first, to make sure its not too strong and it wont eat away/melt the plastic. i screwed up a vent that way...:sad:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Yeah, it shouldn't matter now, but it may have just been a chemical reaction stipping the original color away... or dying it too. :/ Never heard of it turning green though, interesting.

·
ECLIPTO
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lol yeah it sucks but I wasnt prepping it for paint. I was prepping it for a couple layers of clear so I wouldnt have to put amor-all on it. See this is my second dash board and I dont want it to crack. And it think it was the armor all that doomed my last dash.

Would it also help if I reinforced the whole back side of the dash with fiberglass???

ANyone know what I could do about the green. Sould I repaint it black or should i just clear coat it. When I wet the dash it looks nice and black but when it dries its turns green. Sould I clear it so that it dont dry and turn green???

·
5-Spd's FTW
1,595 Posts
no, paint it black, then clear it if you want. dont clear it when its green, then youll just have a shiny green dash. heh.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Armor All does not cause the dash to crack.

I have seen the "green" you speak of. I got it after cleaning an interior piece with alchohol as well. It looked oxidized or something. Just clean and dry the dash. Paint and clear it. Not sure how well the paint will hold up on the dash though.... that area can get mighty hot during the summer. Plus its a big piece. I imagine a cold morning followed by a hot/sunny day followed by a cold evening could cause it to shrink/expand/shrink and maybe that would crack the paint :dunno:

I think the stock plastic pieces are naturally greenish then they are dyed black. I imagine alchohol can remove the dye. I'm guessing here but it would make sense to me. Or maybe alchohol + the dye = green??

Fiberglassing the backside of the dash may be a good idea... I wanted to do it to mine but didn't have the time before installing the dash. It shouldn't be needed but if you mod your dash (like I have) and remove any of the mounting bolts/screws or remove any of the dash plastic itself then additional reinforcement would be required or cracks will show up as the car flexes and hits bumps on the road.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts