Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i happened to get in touch with a couple people from here who gave me some great advice about hids, but i wanna hear what others have to say as well. For a couple weeks i've been looking into getting hids in my car and been looking into these two companies. VVME hids have a good quality ballast (all metal) as of what i hear, but the shipping to send back a defective product i heard is rediculous. DDM tuning has lifetime warranty on ballasts but i heard that there customer Service is horrible. Anyone who has any of these hids and could share there experiences that would be great !

·
Premium Member
6,548 Posts
Whatever you do don't get DDM's normal size ballast, they aren't fully potted, and are not waterproof. VVME's is pretty nearly identical. DDM basically Group buys all their parts from china after a certain amount of orders are reached, which means a month could pass before you get yours.

Either without a wiring harness will surely suck.

Here are the ballasts I was telling you about that I sell (left), next to DDM's normal ballast (right).

·
Registered
547 Posts
i do not have experience with VVME H.I.D.'s but i can say that i may be lucky since i am not far from a DDM Tuning store/shop. i had one ballast(Slim) go bad on me walked in and showed it to them. they tested it on site then asked me to get the other ballast. by the time i came back from my car they had a brand new set of ballasts waiting on the table for me.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i do not have experience with VVME H.I.D.'s but i can say that i may be lucky since i am not far from a DDM Tuning store/shop. i had one ballast(Slim) go bad on me walked in and showed it to them. they tested it on site then asked me to get the other ballast. by the time i came back from my car they had a brand new set of ballasts waiting on the table for me.
i been reading alot of pros and cons on DDM that customer service over the phone sucks but their warranty on replacement ballasts are good. I do know that their slim ballasts are alot more improved over the raptor version they sell. I mean for a $49 shipped hid kit w/ lifetime warranty of ballast you cant really beat that.

@jstewart your hid kits look really good as well and high quality whats the warranty on them ??

·
Premium Member
6,548 Posts
@jstewart your hid kits look really good as well and high quality whats the warranty on them ??

I don't have any official warranty at this time, though whenever my customers have had issues come up I do try to at least exchange parts for them. I spend more on my parts direct from a supplier than DDM sells their kits for. That's got to say something about quality. I'm just a small start up right now, started with doing retrofits/custom headlight work, so it only makes sense for me to stock the parts as well. :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't have any official warranty at this time, though whenever my customers have had issues come up I do try to at least exchange parts for them. I spend more on my parts direct from a supplier than DDM sells their kits for. That's got to say something about quality. I'm just a small start up right now, started with doing retrofits/custom headlight work, so it only makes sense for me to stock the parts as well. :)
the ballast quality is there i can tell :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Both are generic Chinese junk, the TRS ballasts are good, OEM ballasts are the best but you'll likely need to pot them yourself.
TRS ??? they cant be that if lots of people are purchasing both and lots having good results. I mean, i know that the wuality might not be there like the high end ones but if they are backed up by a good warranty then why not. Thats kinda why im leaning more into DDM because the price and the warranty.

·
54,481 Posts
Plenty of people buy lots of chinese ebay garbage all the time and never have issues. That doesn't mean it's not chinese crap in a can. When I flick my Morimoto ballasts powering 85122+ bulbs on (bulbs cost more than the ballasts) they go from off to full power in 8 seconds every time. No flicker, no whine, no hum. EVERY time. They re-strike the bulbs when hot with out any problem several times in a row, one of the hardest things you can do to a ballast and bulb. Hell, they'll even re-strike DURING warmup phase without any problems at all. They always draw the same amperage to light up and run, every time I tested them. 6 amp startup, every startup. Both bulbs come on at exactly the same rate, same color, identical. Exactly like OEM but 3-4 seconds longer warm up time. These are the OLD generation ballasts, the new ones they sell are even better I hear.

Jstewart sells the same as TRS does I think, just not under the same 'name brand'.

Tell me that the DDM ballasts do that?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Plenty of people buy lots of chinese ebay garbage all the time and never have issues. That doesn't mean it's not chinese crap in a can. When I flick my Morimoto ballasts powering 85122+ bulbs on (bulbs cost more than the ballasts) they go from off to full power in 8 seconds every time. No flicker, no whine, no hum. EVERY time. They re-strike the bulbs when hot with out any problem several times in a row, one of the hardest things you can do to a ballast and bulb. Hell, they'll even re-strike DURING warmup phase without any problems at all. They always draw the same amperage to light up and run, every time I tested them. 6 amp startup, every startup. Both bulbs come on at exactly the same rate, same color, identical. Exactly like OEM but 3-4 seconds longer warm up time. These are the OLD generation ballasts, the new ones they sell are even better I hear.

Jstewart sells the same as TRS does I think, just not under the same 'name brand'.

Tell me that the DDM ballasts do that?
your right im sure ddm is not like that :) im going to look into those that you have how much are those kits running for ??
and is TRS the same quality as the ones ou have ?

·
Premium Member
6,548 Posts
:agreed: those in the picture above are almost identical to TRS's previous gen ballasts, but with amp connectors. I'm considering picking up some OEM ballasts from my supplier as well, but probably won't in this order. I've even already scoped out a new ballast, which is a slim with external ignitor, and it powers up my 85122+ to full brightness in about 3 seconds (color shift takes a bit longer) - I've been testing these for about half a year now. I'm just waiting to sell out what i did purchase of those other ballasts. I've begun to stock the same aftermarket bulbs that they do as well. :ndance:

·
54,481 Posts
I'm counting 8 seconds from flicking the switch to full brightness/color/nice pale yellow of 85122+ with no blue. From off to driveable light, yea about 3-4 seconds. They pass through blue as they light up. The OEM Denso that Lexus/Toyota use are fantastic. Just on and white in 3 seconds or less.

·
Premium Member
6,548 Posts
That's about right for the ballasts I have for sale too, I still have 2 sets of their older D2S models (one in my parents grand prix) - the other is my test set. I wish there was a way I could film different ballasts coming on with locked in camera settings.

·
G$
616 Posts
I had a set of DDM Apexcone (regular) ballasts, they had to take every bit of 20-30 seconds to warm up to full brightness. I had a generic set before that that looked to be the same type of ballast, and they took longer. DDM took forever to ship me that kit and their wiring harness was thin and flimsy. I have no experience with VVME, so I can't say. I feel like you get what you pay for.

I have a set of Morimoto's sitting in a box unused waiting for me to retro my heads. I have Osram CBI's waiting to go in some FX-R's. I have some obligations to take car of before I can sink into this retro, but it should be done before the end of next month. Just from a lighting standpoint, I am a firm believer of doing a retro over throwing an HID kit in your halogen reflector, but do what works for you. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had a set of DDM Apexcone (regular) ballasts, they had to take every bit of 20-30 seconds to warm up to full brightness. I had a generic set before that that looked to be the same type of ballast, and they took longer. DDM took forever to ship me that kit and their wiring harness was thin and flimsy. I have no experience with VVME, so I can't say. I feel like you get what you pay for.

I have a set of Morimoto's sitting in a box unused waiting for me to retro my heads. I have Osram CBI's waiting to go in some FX-R's. I have some obligations to take car of before I can sink into this retro, but it should be done before the end of next month. Just from a lighting standpoint, I am a firm believer of doing a retro over throwing an HID kit in your halogen reflector, but do what works for you. Hope this helps.
how much does those morimotos hid kits run for ? and the TRS kits ??

·
Registered
625 Posts
:agreed: those in the picture above are almost identical to TRS's previous gen ballasts, but with amp connectors. I'm considering picking up some OEM ballasts from my supplier as well, but probably won't in this order. I've even already scoped out a new ballast, which is a slim with external ignitor, and it powers up my 85122+ to full brightness in about 3 seconds (color shift takes a bit longer) - I've been testing these for about half a year now. I'm just waiting to sell out what i did purchase of those other ballasts. I've begun to stock the same aftermarket bulbs that they do as well. :ndance:
Do it. :yesway:

I love my Matsushita Gen V Ballasts!

Matsushita Gen V w/ Philips 85122+ Warm-Up Time --- FX-R 1.1 Projectors --- (click to play video)

Oh yeah... OEM ballasts have perks for mounting as well...

·
Premium Member
6,548 Posts
Oh, I'll certainly get OEM parts in stock eventually. I dabbled with the idea of ordering them this time around, but that just placed my cost over what I can handle at the time. I really like the matsushitas because they can be attached to the housing, but not too many headlights have a large enough flat portion to do that -- which means marketability would require me to also pick up some Denso ballasts, which are basically an OEM slim ballast. In the end it's too much of an invest for me right now, hell I still have to spend several hundred to get some cart software for my website and next month I'll be investing a pretty penny on a place to put all this/work.

I'll try to get a video of my current ballasts with the 85122+ bulbs - But even your video is a little deceiving, I can't really tell when it reaches full brightness or that the color shift has taken place at video's end. - I know they're much better than the ebay or DDM specials.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts