Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
01mitec
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking around to find a turbo kit for my gt. I want to ask those of you who are running turbo on your 3.0 gt, especially the ones with the DDP turbo kit, how fitment was. I heard the fitment for the DDP was crappy, I even PM another member about his kit. So let me know the fitment of the turbo setup, such as where the turbo is locate since we have to connect the front and the back bank together somehow. I would prefer if you give pictures of the setup. Not just for the DDP kit, but for any kit that you guys have on your eclipse gt. If you can tell me where you got your kits from and for how much, installation, etc. thanks guys.

·
Aple juic is my beer
8,831 Posts
yeah, dont hold your breath!! I asked over a month ago and they didnt do shit. So more power to you if someone does post something. I still want to see some pics too.

·
Evo IX
1,767 Posts
Ive heard the ddp kit has fitment problems as well, but ive also heard another turbo kit is coming out soon.

·
Banned
18,282 Posts
I have been looking around to find a turbo kit for my gt. I want to ask those of you who are running turbo on your 3.0 gt, especially the ones with the DDP turbo kit, how fitment was. I heard the fitment for the DDP was crappy, I even PM another member about his kit. So let me know the fitment of the turbo setup, such as where the turbo is locate since we have to connect the front and the back bank together somehow. I would prefer if you give pictures of the setup. Not just for the DDP kit, but for any kit that you guys have on your eclipse gt. If you can tell me where you got your kits from and for how much, installation, etc. thanks guys.
You would be better off using the search feature. There are TONS of write ups on each of the kits.

I know if you search for DDP, you'll find TONS of posts, and one of the more recent ones last week talked about the issue of the piping going under the axle and being close to the road. Obviously, if you hit something, you will bend the pipe restricting airflow. Just SEARCH and you'll find your answers.

·
Custom User Title
7,362 Posts
I had the kit.. and tell me this... I put on a few turbo kits on and you tell me a turbo kit fits perfect... non of dem!!!!!!!! Yeah I use to have the ddp turbo kit and I like it except for the bend that goes under the cross member but guess what it will take you a whole hour out of your precious time to cut two inches out of 3 pipes so it goes above the crossmember......

·
Evo IX
1,767 Posts
I had the kit.. and tell me this... I put on a few turbo kits on and you tell me a turbo kit fits perfect... non of dem!!!!!!!! Yeah I use to have the ddp turbo kit and I like it except for the bend that goes under the cross member but guess what it will take you a whole hour out of your precious time to cut two inches out of 3 pipes so it goes above the crossmember......
You should NOT have to make such modifications to piping after spending a fiew grand on a kit. I don't care if the rest of the kit is made of solid gold. The point of someone fabricating piping for a platform and mass-produce is to make it fit fine and fully function just the way it was made.

·
Mei's dad
1,127 Posts
How was the fitment of the DDP kit's FMIC with the front bumper? What kind of performance gains do you think you had with that kit?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I thought I asked a while back if that's all you'd have to do to make that pipe go over the crossmember, but I didn't remember anyone ever confirming it.

So, essentially, you take a sawzall (or even a hand saw) while you're installing the kit and hack a few inches off a few pipes, and the problem's gone? Yeah it'd be nice if everything fit right out of the box the way it should ideally, but hell, that doesn't sound bad to me...

·
01mitec
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You should NOT have to make such modifications to piping after spending a fiew grand on a kit. I don't care if the rest of the kit is made of solid gold. The point of someone fabricating piping for a platform and mass-produce is to make it fit fine and fully function just the way it was made.

I agree with that, i mean, you pay thousands for a kit, but just to find out that piping does not fit.

·
01mitec
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess what i'll have to do is get the manifold and the turbo for my car, then i'll take it to the shop here in town and have the guy fabricate me some pipes. I don't know if he's willing to fabricate me all the pipings, but I guess it's worth a try asking him since he fabricated a customer pipe for my friends civic turbo

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
It's very simple you can do the entire setup with 8 elbows that have an 8" throat and 4' of straight piping.

·
Evo IX
1,767 Posts
It's very simple you can do the entire setup with 8 elbows that have an 8" throat and 4' of straight piping.
Your forgetting he will also need hangers, flex joints, flanges, etc... its not exactly a simple cut and weld job like a straight pipe.

·
Custom User Title
7,362 Posts
Well guess what I found out about it after I bought the damn thing.. and guess what it didn't take that long to fix it...

·
Custom User Title
7,362 Posts
How was the fitment of the DDP kit's FMIC with the front bumper? What kind of performance gains do you think you had with that kit?
You have to take about 3 inches off the bumper to make the top part of the intercooler to fit.... PLEASE READ THIS PART BEFORE YOU BUY IT.... I talked to doug about the bumper support cause he says you have to cut in in half the long ways to make the intercooler fit which is fucken stupid because you are sacraficing safety for horsepower which is stupid as fuck...

·
Custom User Title
7,362 Posts
I thought I asked a while back if that's all you'd have to do to make that pipe go over the crossmember, but I didn't remember anyone ever confirming it.

So, essentially, you take a sawzall (or even a hand saw) while you're installing the kit and hack a few inches off a few pipes, and the problem's gone? Yeah it'd be nice if everything fit right out of the box the way it should ideally, but hell, that doesn't sound bad to me...
There use to be a thread that had a bunch of these questions answered but the mods/admins shut it down for some dumb reason but here are pictures...
Guess what I have noticed... everyone that has a turbo kit or getting a supercharger on there car gets rid of it within a year... why I got rid of mine is because I needed a four door for one and two its better just buying a turboed car then turbocharging a N/A car... Trust me you will pry end up getting rid of whatever kit you buy.... back to your question YOU HAVE TO WELD points off your exhaust manifold... Yeah but you have to be precise your cuts or else you just fuck up your whole system...

HERE IS SOME PICTURES

WEll f

·
Evo IX
1,767 Posts
Well guess what I found out about it after I bought the damn thing.. and guess what it didn't take that long to fix it...
I hope DDP has some big nuts so you dont lose your grip while swinging. Any kit you pay thousands for and has to have the piping cut and reworked is not a good kit.

So if you bought a brand new plasma and in order for it to work properly you had to take it apart and rewire it. Then put it back together and it worked fine would you call that a good tv?

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts
Because that core is cheaper.

·
Evo IX
1,767 Posts
Why didn't Doug use a true front-mount intercooler for his kit? :ugh:
Probobly because he is able to get that one at a much cheaper cost. It's really a side mount intercooler as you can see.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts