Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
I have been doing some searching for a turbo kit for my '01 Eclipse Gt and I have found one from this website. I'm curious if anyone has any experience with this kit or know if anyone has installed it?

Import Performance Parts - Mitsubishi Turbo Kits
For that price, sine its only the bolt on parts and no engine management, I suggest you take your stock manifolds to an exhaust shop and Im pretty sure they can make you turbo manfiolds out of them for probably around $250. For the turbo, you can just pick up a brand new EVO III 16G for around $500 or search some DSM forums and you could pick up a used one for around $300. Then the other just get an intercooler from ebay, many people and including myself, have run these to hell on DSMs. Bov, chose which style you want, I recommend a 1G DSM BOV if your on a budget or a Turbo XS H34 if you dont mind spending $200. Intercooler pipes and couplers you can do easily, and then for the tuning you just get it flashed.

·
My snail is bigger!
1,154 Posts
^^ An "exhaust shop" is not going to make you turbo manifolds. Stop feeding people these lies. A 16G is WAY too small for a 3.0L V6. Period.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Does anybody know anything about this kit? I'm also pretty curious considering both RIPP and Tearstone took their kits off the market.

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
^^ An "exhaust shop" is not going to make you turbo manifolds. Stop feeding people these lies. A 16G is WAY too small for a 3.0L V6. Period.
First of all, stop talking out of your ass. An exhaust shop CAN create a turbo manifold, its been done before. All you do is get a flange for the type of turbo you want, then take your manifolds with the flanges over to an exhaust shop, he will then cut the manifold right after the collocter and weld on the flange. But i guess you dont have the IQ to think of something that simple.

Second, the 16g is not WAY to small you jackass. People have been running 12.5's on 14lbs with the 16G on a DOHC 6g72, basically the 3Si'ers. Heres the proof.
evo 3 16g's on 14 lbs - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center

Learn your shit before you talk shit. Now go put your self out :flamed::shoot2:.

·
My snail is bigger!
1,154 Posts
That's TWO 16g's. You said A 16g.

And an exhaust shop cannot properly make a turbo manifold. The turbo flange has to be the same type of steel as the headers and the headers CANNOT be mild steel unless you want them to crack under thermal stress. The welds should all be TIG welds which I cannot think of any exhaust shop that does TIG welding. Not to mention they have to be able to verify fitment/clearance ON the car, which I can, again, not think of any exhaust shop that would be willing to do for something other than a catback exhaust.

GET YOUR facts straight.

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
That's TWO 16g's. You said A 16g.

And an exhaust shop cannot properly make a turbo manifold. The turbo flange has to be the same type of steel as the headers and the headers CANNOT be mild steel unless you want them to crack under thermal stress. The welds should all be TIG welds which I cannot think of any exhaust shop that does TIG welding. Not to mention they have to be able to verify fitment/clearance ON the car, which I can, again, not think of any exhaust shop that would be willing to do for something other than a catback exhaust.

GET YOUR facts straight.
http://www.club3g.com/forum/gt-gts/36461-twin-turbo-3g-gt-project-2.html

PM him and ask him what manifolds he is using. To save you sometime, I emailed him a while ago asking about his turbo setup and he used STOCK modified manifolds.

·
My snail is bigger!
1,154 Posts
That's fine, he got LUCKY and had a HOOKUP at an "exhaust" shop. Usually that kind of work is exclusive to real performance/speed shops. It's not going to cost anybody here $250 unless they're as lucky.

·
Xenon Powered
1,049 Posts
Just noticed your from Duluth, so am I. I almost think your better of parting together a turbo kit. You can see if Archers Racing, or Advanced can custom make you a turbo manifold?

·
Zed oh six
6,234 Posts
For the turbo, you can just pick up a brand new EVO III 16G for around $500 or search some DSM forums and you could pick up a used one for around $300.
That turbo will be entirely too small used in a single setup on the 6G72. Like WarmAndSCSI said, the 3SI guys use two of them.

TSI27 said:
Then the other just get an intercooler from ebay, many people and including myself, have run these to hell on DSMs.
Some ebay intercoolers are good and others are not. I used an ebay type on my 3G and on my MR2 with no issues. Just choose wisely and do your research first.

TSI27 said:
and then for the tuning you just get it flashed.
You wont be able to flash a working tune onto your stock ECU that easily. Every custom turbo kit reacts differently based on turbo size, piping size, injector size, etc. Your tune will have to be a custom tune that will probably take weeks to perfect without a baseline, which you wont have. It can be done, but this will most likely be one of the hardest parts about making your turbo 3G work efficiently.

·
My snail is bigger!
1,154 Posts
Honestly, I don't think anybody has ordered one of these before.

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
That's fine, he got LUCKY and had a HOOKUP at an "exhaust" shop. Usually that kind of work is exclusive to real performance/speed shops. It's not going to cost anybody here $250 unless they're as lucky.
I dont know man, I never knew that kind of work was really that hard to find but maybe its just your area. Ive called around to a couple exhaust shops, regular shops youd find on the street corner, to compare prices and theyve all said they could do it, just bring the flange.

You wont be able to flash a working tune onto your stock ECU that easily. Every custom turbo kit reacts differently based on turbo size, piping size, injector size, etc. Your tune will have to be a custom tune that will probably take weeks to perfect without a baseline, which you wont have. It can be done, but this will most likely be one of the hardest parts about making your turbo 3G work efficiently.
Yea, I didnt mean just flash and go. I meant he could get a base flash from the guy who does flashes on here just so he could get it to a dyno and then fine tune it over there. Everytune, even if its been on many of the same FI system, has to be fined tuned for its certain car.

·
My snail is bigger!
1,154 Posts
I dont know man, I never knew that kind of work was really that hard to find but maybe its just your area. Ive called around to a couple exhaust shops, regular shops youd find on the street corner, to compare prices and theyve all said they could do it, just bring the flange.
I'll have to try it, but I'm doubting I'm going to be satisfied with what used to be my perfectly good headers.

You're also forgetting that that's assuming somebody wants a twin turbo kit. And you're leaving out the fabrication of the downpipe which will be tricky depending on the type of exit flange on the turbine housing.

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
I'll have to try it, but I'm doubting I'm going to be satisfied with what used to be my perfectly good headers.

You're also forgetting that that's assuming somebody wants a twin turbo kit. And you're leaving out the fabrication of the downpipe which will be tricky depending on the type of exit flange on the turbine housing.
Well I suggest you call around to some small exhaust shops, some that have bene around for a while, you'll be surpised with what they can do. Also, if you have a Top Value Auto around you I suggest you give them a call. The workers at my local shop are amazing and Ive sent numerous friends to them for exhaust related products, they can weld and bend anything. Whats best of all is that their cheap. The guy charged me $60 to replace the muffler and one of the smaller resonators with straight pipe.

All exhaust shops have the tools, they have a machine to bend the pipe and a welder. Its just experience, thats what is important thats why you look around.

·
My snail is bigger!
1,154 Posts
Well I suggest you call around to some small exhaust shops, some that have bene around for a while, you'll be surpised with what they can do. Also, if you have a Top Value Auto around you I suggest you give them a call. The workers at my local shop are amazing and Ive sent numerous friends to them for exhaust related products, they can weld and bend anything. Whats best of all is that their cheap. The guy charged me $60 to replace the muffler and one of the smaller resonators with straight pipe.

All exhaust shops have the tools, they have a machine to bend the pipe and a welder. Its just experience, thats what is important thats why you look around.
Problem is the only "exhaust shop" in the SLC Valley that has a mandrel bender that sells to the public is mainly concerned with building exhaust for NASCAR - no joking. The rest of them, experienced or not, do not have the means of making a proper exhaust manifold. There are some places that specialize in turbo manifold fabrication, but they all require exact dimensions or the car at hand, and will be charging 4x your estimate of $250 for a proper turbo manifold setup. Now if you still think sticking a flange on the end of some mild steel shorties is a good solution for a twin-turbo manifold, then, yeah, any exhaust shop down the corner can do that for me.

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
Problem is the only "exhaust shop" in the SLC Valley that has a mandrel bender that sells to the public is mainly concerned with building exhaust for NASCAR - no joking. The rest of them, experienced or not, do not have the means of making a proper exhaust manifold. There are some places that specialize in turbo manifold fabrication, but they all require exact dimensions or the car at hand, and will be charging 4x your estimate of $250 for a proper turbo manifold setup. Now if you still think sticking a flange on the end of some mild steel shorties is a good solution for a twin-turbo manifold, then, yeah, any exhaust shop down the corner can do that for me.
Well that guy has done it and has more then 15k+ miles on it so it seems like its doing fine. I might be going that route in the spring time.

·
My snail is bigger!
1,154 Posts
How often does he drag race or road race on it? Sustained, WOT, multiple gear pulls will cause MIG welds (even TIG welds) and cheap steel to fail under tremendous thermal stress. There's a reason most people don't daily drive on tubular manifolds - they can't afford to repair them when they break.

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
How often does he drag race or road race on it? Sustained, WOT, multiple gear pulls will cause MIG welds (even TIG welds) and cheap steel to fail under tremendous thermal stress. There's a reason most people don't daily drive on tubular manifolds - they can't afford to repair them when they break.
That I can ask him as I dont know but I do know that mitsubishi manifolds are made of great quality. The stock 2G 4G63 manifolds are holy and have seen some HIGH numbers

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts
Christ... Why is it that a Stratus owner has to come on this forum spewing nonsense?

Let's try a recap since I couldn't stomach reading the entire thread.

#1. 16G's are only adequate on the 6G72 if used in a twin format. A single 16G will choke the living shit out of the 3.0L and create tremendous back pressure and extremely high cylinder temps.

#2. Yes, any shop that has a welder should be able to cut and weld on a flange to your existing stock cast manifold. Will this be optimal? No... Has it been proven to work? Yes, by one person in the entire country.

#3. Tubular manifolds are only weak when they are made out of 14 gauge material or thinner. If you use schedule 10 welded T and elbows you should be 100% fine provided the welds are up to par and the turbo is braced. We have NEVER had a schedule 10 manifold crack on us.

#4. Having seen the turbo kit in question here in person at SEMA the other year, I can state that the kit is not optimal in any shape or form. There is a cast manifold for the rear bank. The turbo sits on this manifold and there is a merge pipe from the front manifold that connects to the bottom of this manifold. The electronics I saw on display were an absolute joke. The electronics consisted of a MAP sensor that fed secondary injectors. No timing control, no static injector control... Basically it's a chinese kit. You are getting what you pay for and a T25 is ENTIRELY TOO SMALL FOR THE 3.0L V6!

#5. Mitsubishi manifolds are prone to cracking. PERIOD. I have over 10 1G and 2G manifolds sitting in my basement and of those I think I have 1 that hasn't cracked. With some porting you can get some decent flow numbers out of a 2G manifold but you could have gotten the same amount out of a SBR manifold w/ no porting. If you want true high power the only solution is a tubular manifold.

Seriously... this kit has been debated on numerous times. The search feature is your friend.

TSI27... If it was so fucking easy, everyone would have one. The fact that only 1 twin kit exists in the country to date proves that A: 3Gers are broke, B: It costs way more than you think to actually get it to work right.

Please don't spread misinformation. If you want to do that, go back to 2gstratus.org.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts