Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Help me decide which clutch to purchase for my 2000 GT. I have the ACT Street Disc on right now, but it can't handle over 400hp and it slips in 1st and 2nd and high HP gear shifts. I need a new clutch that can handle the power, I already have a Clutchmaster's Flywheel. Just need a clutch.

Thanks for all the input and info. :yesway:

Seems like my poll didn't get posted. :hmm:

ACT Heavy Duty MB6-HDG6 503 tq.

Competition Clutch Stage 4 - Strip Series 1620 Clutch Kit 550tq.

Clutchmasters FX400 475tq.

SPEC Stage 3+ 550tq.

·
My snail is bigger!
1,154 Posts
I'm running a SPEC Stage 3 no problem with practically the same engine and tranny setup as yours. It holds nicely.

I'm revving to 7250 now, too :) It's soooo nice.

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm running a SPEC Stage 3 no problem with practically the same engine and tranny setup as yours. It holds nicely.

I'm revving to 7250 now, too :) It's soooo nice.
Do you have the stage 3 or stage 3 plus?

I owned a stage 3 before on another eclipse, it chattered in 1st and R, but it grabbed superwell as far as shifting goes. I wonder if the stae 3 plus is different, its supposed to offer less chatter.

·
stupid booster
7,219 Posts
IDC what you get but dont get the spec clutch. You warned me before and im warning you this time. Really the only thing i hate on my car. LMK how the other clutches act. Get the act or clutchmaster one if your happy so far with ur flywheel

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IDC what you get but dont get the spec clutch. You warned me before and im warning you this time. Really the only thing i hate on my car. LMK how the other clutches act. Get the act or clutchmaster one if your happy so far with ur flywheel
I been really happy with the ACT clutch. THe flywheel is great also. I like ACT a bit more then the Clutchmasters just because it holds alittle more torque at the flywheel. I think it would be sufficent as far as my car goes. Plus I had a good expierence with them. Put about 30k miles on the street disc, boosted and raced. Which I think is pretty decent and it holds pretty well, just not well enough.

·
New daddy
3,352 Posts
You are pretty much in uncomfortable clutch territory. The ceramic friction material is pretty grabby which mostly affects first take off. However, the cermic composite is different between manufactures. Too bad no one makes a $2500 tripple plate carbon clutch. :lol:

I think the design of the center hub on the spec is subpar. The spline area is made out of a stamped peice and is not very tall. The disk binds on the input shaft easily. If you look at the ACT it is a machined peice that slides well on the input shaft of the transmission. Also, the only reason for a puck design is to aid cooling the disk.

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are pretty much in uncomfortable clutch territory. The ceramic friction material is pretty grabby which mostly affects first take off. However, the cermic composite is different between manufactures. Too bad no one makes a $2500 tripple plate carbon clutch. :lol:

I think the design of the center hub on the spec is subpar. The spline area is made out of a stamped peice and is not very tall. The disk binds on the input shaft easily. If you look at the ACT it is a machined peice that slides well on the input shaft of the transmission. Also, the only reason for a puck design is to aid cooling the disk.

You actually made a good point about the SPEC vs. ACT. I didn't notice the difference until I looked on past pictures. Alot of times its you get what you pay for. A multi disc clutch would be nice, but it won't ever happen for this car.

·
Turbo/Haltech V6
1,713 Posts
Does any body know how hard is the engagement of the ACT heavy duty one?

·
New daddy
3,352 Posts
Are you going to get a new friction surface for the flywheel?

Also, if you wanted to, you could possibly just get the ACT 6 puck disk. That is if the pressure plate is still good and the flywheel is not cracked too much. The creamic should bed in nicely after a couple hard slips of the clutch. You might want to call ACT tech line and see what they say.

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you going to get a new friction surface for the flywheel?

Also, if you wanted to, you could possibly just get the ACT 6 puck disk. That is if the pressure plate is still good and the flywheel is not cracked too much. The creamic should bed in nicely after a couple hard slips of the clutch. You might want to call ACT tech line and see what they say.
Yeah, I not sure if the ACT street disc and HD puck disk use the same pressure plate for them to be interchangeable. I would have to call ACT if I could do that. Since they dont list the street disc anymore, not sure why not. They look the same, but I am not sure if they are, since ACT lists a few different kinds, but the kit itself is the cheapest out of the bunch for only $475. So it might be worth it to get a whole new kit.

As far as the flywheel. I am going to order new inserts into the flywheel. Since Clutchmaster flywheel has the changeable carbon steel inserts for the friction surface.

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does any body know how hard is the engagement of the ACT heavy duty one?
I had a street disc with a HD pressure plate. The engagement is very smooth and grabs well. But as far as the race disks go, I haven't got a clue. Hopefully someone here can give some input.

·
New daddy
3,352 Posts
When I went to buy my ACT clutch, I could not find one anywhere. I ended up buying one from a member that never installed it. I was told by ACT that they used to have the disks made by another vendor, and that they were going to start making the disks in house. It looks like that never happened. They were also going to change the part number from MB6HD00 to MB6HDMM. I saw the part number change in the cataloge, but I don't know of anyone that got an MM disk.

MB6 = Mitsubishi 6 cylinder
HD = Heavy Duty Pressure Plate
00 = Stock replacement disk
MM = Modified disk. It is still an organic lining with the same torque capacity but a little more performance oriented.

It also looks like ACT used two pressure plates for the v6 eclipse.
MB013
MB015

If you did got with ACT which disk would you go with? They all have the same torque capacity of 503lb/ft.

G4 - Four puck sprung center
G6 - Six puck sprung center
R4 - Four puck solid hub
R6 - Six puck solid hub

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well it looks like all the kits use the MB015 Pressure plate. I didn't see the street disk anywhere whether it be MM or 00. But when they label their kits its not in a very logical way. The race disk use the same ceramic compound, but the difference is the number of pucks and if its sprung or not.

·
My snail is bigger!
1,154 Posts
Do you have the stage 3 or stage 3 plus?

I owned a stage 3 before on another eclipse, it chattered in 1st and R, but it grabbed superwell as far as shifting goes. I wonder if the stae 3 plus is different, its supposed to offer less chatter.
Regular Stage 3. Never had any engagement/chattering/squealing problems.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts