Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased denso ik22s. I plan on going FI soon I was just wondering am I supposed to gap the plugs before I put them in?

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
NO NO NO, never try to gap iridium plugs.
Denso disagrees. Per their website:
Denso said:
Q. Do I need to set the gap?
A. Generally, no. The DENSO Iridium Power plug comes pre-set with a protective sleeve over the firing end, to protect the gap from accidental alteration. DENSO Iridium Power’s ultra-efficient firing power compensates for normally recommended gap settings that are smaller than the pre-set value. In the cases of vehicle modifications (nitrous, turbo-chargers, super-chargers, high power ignition systems, etc.), some adjustments may be desired. Or, if you prefer to remain consistent with factory specifications, you may adjust. However, please be careful not to place any stress on the fine center electrode during adjustment. You could accidentally break off the very hard, and therefore brittle, tip.
I know that platinum tipped plugs should NEVER be adjusted. I wasn't sure about the Iridiums so I googled and found the denso FAQ talked about it. More info here: Frequently Asked Questions: DENSO Iridium

Personally, I have used plat and iridium plugs and I never gapped/adjusted any of them. They all came with ".44" gapping from the factory so I installed them straight from the box. As for you going FI soon... make sure you get the proper temp spark plug for FI. I believe it should be 1 or 2 ranges cooler than a stock plug.

·
NUFF SAID
1,497 Posts
i know you can gap iridium but it's best not to try so that you don't mess up the tip, just safer to say no do not gap them :bigthumb: :lol:

·
6G72_4_LIFE
196 Posts
Get NGK's :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
You can gap Platinums or Iridiums if you're extremely carefull, I've seen me do it.

+1 for NGK's but this time for V-power plugs on an FI set up platinums and iridiums dont seem to hold up as well on really hot motors, lighter Fi builds should be fine on the exotics though.

·
Premium Member
16,710 Posts
Personally, I have used plat and iridium plugs and I never gapped/adjusted any of them. They all came with ".44" gapping from the factory so I installed them straight from the box. As for you going FI soon... make sure you get the proper temp spark plug for FI. I believe it should be 1 or 2 ranges cooler than a stock plug.
Holy shit, .44 gap? the 6G72 factory gap is .028-.031. I just did a spark plug job this past weekend.

If you are going FI, like NC said you need to go 1-2 heat ranges cooler.

·
Just Married 05-15
1,755 Posts
There is so much tweaking for FI. For N/A I just stick with the stock gap and Denso Iridiums which are the best IMHO (who are we to argue a bunch of engineers spending hours getting the right gap measurement). They produce very efficient flame kernels and every time I get logs from people with different spark plugs, they always have knock.

Has anyone figured out what is the best gap for FI and with which spark plug?

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Holy shit, .44 gap? the 6G72 factory gap is .028-.031. I just did a spark plug job this past weekend.
A. Generally, no. The DENSO Iridium Power plug comes pre-set with a protective sleeve over the firing end, to protect the gap from accidental alteration. DENSO Iridium Power’s ultra-efficient firing power compensates for normally recommended gap settings that are smaller than the pre-set value.

.44 gapping seems to be the standard on new plugs. I noticed that virually all the plugs listed for the 3G GT on Advanced Auto Parts website came with a .44 gap :dunno: FWIW, I have used/installed 4 or 5 different sets of spark plugs and I have never adjusted a single one. Not that that is a good thing but I'm just saying that the car ran fine using the sparks as they were setup right out of the box. This goes for Zex, NGK, Denso, more Zex, and more NGKs. Maybe I have just gotten lucky :dunno:

·
Premium Member
16,710 Posts
A. Generally, no. The DENSO Iridium Power plug comes pre-set with a protective sleeve over the firing end, to protect the gap from accidental alteration. DENSO Iridium Power’s ultra-efficient firing power compensates for normally recommended gap settings that are smaller than the pre-set value.

.44 gapping seems to be the standard on new plugs. I noticed that virually all the plugs listed for the 3G GT on Advanced Auto Parts website came with a .44 gap :dunno: FWIW, I have used/installed 4 or 5 different sets of spark plugs and I have never adjusted a single one. Not that that is a good thing but I'm just saying that the car ran fine using the sparks as they were setup right out of the box. This goes for Zex, NGK, Denso, more Zex, and more NGKs. Maybe I have just gotten lucky :dunno:
The difference between .044 and .031 is very small when you look at it with the naked eye, but it can cause problems with combustion in the long term. Really your car should run fine with a .044 gapped plug, but I always try to stay within OEM setpoints.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts