Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT and it ran mint when I bought it at 146k miles. It's now at 148k and the Maine winter is here. The problem I'm having is the car doesn't want to turn on sometimes. The heat takes a long time to start heating up, and even when it does it's a warm; not hot like usual. So back to the no start problem, I turn the key & it makes a click then a humming noise (assuming that's the fuel pump or something along those lines initiating). I could turn the key 100 times & it would start eventually, but the issue is I don't want to do that. I've replaced the Neutral Safety Switch, the battery; and I've had the starter tested. The starter tested positive, and it's working just fine. I also replaced the starter relay, which was only $15.00. The old battery was a little below par, and I didn't think it was going to be the problem anyhow...

After looking online for a while I've come across 2 reasonable sounding solutions. One being the fluid in my radiator has too much water or the anti freeze has been burnt off. The other being the oil being too thick. I can't recall if I threw some oil in the car when I first bought it, but if I did it would have been 10w-30 even though the car called for 5w-30 I had 10w-30 on me. So I'm thinking about taking it to my local Lincoln Street Radiator and having them flush the antifreeze & replace the thermostat. They said the estimation for that would be about $152.00 (Which sounds a little out of proportion for the job). The other option I was going to do is bring it to my local Prompto & having them do an oil change. That option would only ring me up $25.00, but wouldn't be likely to fix the heating issue.

EDIT: The car is full on antifreeze & doesn't appear slushy or anything in the case or the tube. So my step dad is saying that can't be the issue, and just to replace the thermostat for the heating problem. So back to the issue, could it be the oil? The car doesn't attempt to turn over or anything, but once it does it starts right up. The ignition switch was another scenario we were looking into. Though I'll need an oil change in about 800 miles anyway, so maybe I'll just get that done early?

Random issues that don't really matter, but may have something to do with it?
- 1/10 times when I first start moving in my car I have a belt squeek for about 3-4 seconds.
- When I put the car into neutral the headlights dim (Believe the idle isn't quiet up to par since the new battery, but that was about a week ago).
- Not an issue, but I would just like to add I have an 1800W Power Acoustik amp hooked up (I don't think that has anything to do with the problems though.)

So overall what I'm looking for, for a solution...
- Why isn't my car starting?
- What is the cheapest most efficient way to figure it out and fix it? (I'm only 17 and I'm more of a stay inside on the computer guy rather than the do it yourself mechanic teenager.)

My car for anyone who cares to see it... (Of course now it's styling a bent rim alongside the starting issues)

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
Coolant and oil have absolutely nothing to do with whether or not your engine cranks. If you're getting a click but no crank the starter is bad or it's not getting full voltage. If the starter is good and the starter relay is good then you either have a bad connection at the starter or more than likely your ignition switch needs replacement.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright, that's all I needed was a response from someone who knew what they were talking about, because as you can tell... I'm not very bright when it comes to cars. How would I go about testing my wiring to the starter? Just would prefer to do that rather than going straight to replacing the ignition switch. I got estimated $140.00 to replace the ignition switch about 2 weeks ago at VIP. I would have gotten it tested first, but the testing is an hours labor or $90.00. So I figured might as well just pay for the part & the labor at once...

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
Both the ignition switch and starter are very easy replacements. You could do either yourself. It's really a toss up in which though. I've dealt with your exact symptoms and cured them with starters or ignition switches.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts