Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
"I dunno" guy
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking to buy more CF cards and was wondering if there's any performance difference between the Sandisk Ultra2 and Extreme3 on a XTi. On paper the Extreme is supposed to be faster, but does it really come into effect on this camera?

Reason for asking -
Staples.com®. that was easy®.

$30 for it.

Even better deal - 2 for 1 - sandisk2for1 store at Calumet

·
Bicoastal Traveler
8,555 Posts
The biggest difference between CF speeds is in downloading. Faster cards will help when offloading onto your PC, especially via a reader. As far as writing images in-camera, I don't see a difference on my D200 between those 2 types of cards.

·
"I dunno" guy
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweet. Getting in on the Calumet deal then :) I have a crappy USB reader that for some reason only sustains ~2.5MB/s transfer rate. This is on a supposedly 133X Sony card.

·
I Wangs
43,483 Posts
unless you find them cheap, don't bother buying anything more than the "regular" CF cards. I have several regular ones, a 2Gb extreme II, 8Gb UltraIII and a 12Gb Extreme III. I really don't see any difference at all. PC speeds are limited by my reader (I'm usually seeing in the 7Mb range) and my rebel and 20d sure as hell can't even begine to use up the higher speeds of the extreme cards. the 1D might use the speeds if I were to start taking a lot of photos at high speed but I don't do that either so really I don't even take advantage of the speed on that camera either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts