Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
54,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek::eek:

So I bought Erin a nice monitor for us :)lol:) for the computer I'm slowly putting together on paper. https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-27-ultrathin-monitor-s2718d/apd/210-alwd/monitors-monitor-accessories (but $220 from Staples)
I figured it would be cool to get a color calibrator device and calibrate the monitor and her Macbook screen. Well I've calibrated neither of those things yet, I did however do my TV that's connected to a small PC. I got a used in box Spyder4 Pro for $75 and ran the Datacolor software for it and I was shocked...by how poorly it calibrated the colors and white especially. Everything was orangey yellow and looked terrible. I thought..well..my eyes have been wrong this whole time? They must be, this professional device and software says so. Of course I ran to Google crying that maybe I got a bum device, furiously clacking away at my little key caps. Then I was saved by open source software, yet again.

Enter Displaycal!
https://displaycal.net/
Install was simple, setup was easy, I ran the calibration which was MUCH more thorough and included a live mode to adjust settings to get them as close to correct before starting. Everything looks so nice on my TV now, the blues and greens are especially so much better but all colors look way more accurate and lifelike, I can't recommend this enough if you enjoy...well anything at all!

Ok so that's all fine and dandy because I have a computer connected to the TV, but what about if you're watching TV from a set top box or blu-ray player or gaming console? Never fear, Displaycal has what's called 'untethered' mode. You can export all the test images to files and display them on the screen you need to calibrate and then use the display settings to get the readings from the device and software to best match and get a fairly good result still. You'll have true to life colors in MarioKart finally!:yesway:

It runs great on Windows 10, but also supports Linux and OSX too with what I can assume is nearly the same ease. I may try it with Xubuntu on my crappy old Dell Laptop that I use all the time.

Holy shit my anime looks so fucking good right now, my $400 Samsung TV from Sams Club is like blowing my mind.

·
54,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ran it on my Laptop in Xubuntu Linux and this screen only hits 67% sRGB and like 40% Adobe RGB, so I may re-do the calibration on this laptop for a longer time with more colors to try to get it a little better, I notice some color banding now on really compressed images that I didn't see before but overall everything looks so much more lifelike. Displaycal is amazing software, I think the software is what's the most important.

·
Registered
745 Posts
that may be the limits of your screen. Not that it's a bad screen, because I think sometimes the video snobs look more at the numbers than what actually looks good to them. All I know is we've come a long way from amber screens (my friend's computer had one of those). I also remember ogling a picture of a naked girl printed in black and white only using ASCII characters. Sad but true, LOL.

·
54,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I remember my dad's Apple IIC had a green and black screen, that was cool.

Yea the laptop screen is not the best screen by a long shot but I'll give it a go at a longer calibration. I'll set it in my closet with some indirect lighting and just let it run for a day while I'm at work and see if it's any better, no harm in trying.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts