Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
MIND BLOWN
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of us built like pencils, I could use yalls advice.

I do high school track/cross country, and I'm sloowwwllyy getting better...unfortunately slower than some of my teammates. Anybody know any ways to get faster...well, faster? Any good intervals that yall know of? What should I eat?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Well, like most things, you get better the more you do it. How long have you been running, how many miles are you doing a week, and are you doing dedicated long runs every saturday? Those will answer most of your questions alot better.

What are you training for? 800, 1600, 3200, 5K?

For your eating habits, I ate really shitty when I was running in highschool, but eating a good balance of carbs and proteins, along with vegetables will help you out. Also, be sure to drink water, and add in gatorade to help replace electrolytes.

·
Exacerbated Member
5,414 Posts
Speed is for sprinters. What you need to do is increase your endurance and efficency, and then to learn from experience just how fast a pace you can hold throughout the race so that you have a little kick at the finish before you run out of gas. For specific info talk to your coach but the basic idea is to train to make your body function to your will efficiently over long periods of time.

·
Take Dat Wit CHU!!!!
12,705 Posts
i think these guys kinda hit the nail on the head. i played a lot of soccer in highschool.... track coaches always wanted me to run. But i never had the desire to go thru what some of the runners go thru to train and become better.

:lol: no way i was going to wake up at 5 am every morning to run a few miles..... but it takes practice. See what some of your team mates are doing and tag along. It helps to have someone with the same goals and interest, to keep you motivated.

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
The only advice i can chime in with is diet. Just like top touring cars arent using regular octane you shouldnt be eating just regular food. Balanced low glycemic carbs, veggies, and good proteins. Also good fats to keep your joints feeling solid. If you eat properly your body will respond positively. Should result in you running harde, longer, quicker. Not to mention you will recover quicker. I would also recommend something like EduroX (i think thats the name)...its a special blended mix to drink after longer runs. It helps replenish the body of all you used up during your run.

·
MIND BLOWN
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Mits4g64-right now I'm training for the 1600 and 3200, and in the fall I do 5k's. I'm a junior, and I've been running since my freshmen year. I'm not too sure how much I run per week-it depends on what day the meet is on. I eat a bunch of carbs, but I don't drink Gatorade or sodas. Mostly water or juices for me.

@WorldWind-I have plenty endurance (doing 7 miles at about a 7 minute pace) but I need speed to go along with it. My current PR's are an 11:42 3200 and a 5:23 mile. I gotta get to a 5:0_ 1600, and an 10:5_ 3200.

@pp e-I have a couple guys I run with (who are slightly better than me in races, but we workout at about the same pace) but they're both freshmen. My issue is I want to beat them as well as get my times down. And yes, waking up at 5AM...I'm used to it after all these years :lol:

@Cam-I'll look into getting more vegetables, and that EduroX thing. I'm not exactly the healthiest eater (I drink healthy though...sodas just aren't my thing).

I'll train hard and eat healthy over spring break and tell you guys what happens!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Ok, that will make things a little easier on what to tell ya what to do. You're gonna want a good mix of high intensity workouts, with a balance of distance. Seeing that you've been running for 3 years, your body should be good to go.

You should do 24 (200) meter "sprints" with a 1 to 2 recovery. Seeing that you want to run a 5 flat or so mile, shoot for 35 second 200's, that will put you at 4:40 mile pace. Your rest will be for 70 seconds. And repeat untill all of your 200's are up.

You can do the same for 400 meters, but only do 12. I'm just throwing times out there, but set a target pace, and do your very best to stick to it.

Another great speed workout is what called 30, 30's. This is where you sprint/stride for 30 seconds and then jog for 30 seconds. Do this for 20 minutes and is guaranteed to smoke you.

I cannot stress how important saturday long runs are. Do atleast 8-10 miles, at a comfortable, but strong pace. I guarantee you that you will see times drop.

Also, another great tip that I have for you is to work on your core muscles. Looking back, I can see how my teammates and I neglected such an important part of the body that helps with running.

·
Exacerbated Member
5,414 Posts
Basically distance running barley starts at 5k. I assumed you were referring to marathons.

For sub 5k speed you need to focus on doing wind sprints and exercises that emphasize quick muscle reaction speed. I recommend longer sprints than 30 seconds. And I will reiterate aerodynamics and running efficiency is important.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
7 mile at a 7 minute pace is not going to get you anywhere. you need to bring that time down. How? efficiency and endurance- you need to work on that eventually your speed will come from endurance.

I was a sprinter and thrower and got to compete at the penn relays.

·
More guns than sense
38,301 Posts
Have you incorporated any strength training to your routine? Getting your muscles stronger helps with your endurance and will allow you to train harder with less risk of injury.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.