Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Mein Teil
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had lowered springs and running 225/40/18's tires for several years now without problems. However, as of the last year I have had a strange issue with my rear right tire. It seems that occasionally when it rains or I drive the car hard and take a sharp right turn, that rear tire pushes into the inside of the car and rubs against the control arm causing the tire to lock up and making my car turn sideways! This has happend several times in the last year and finally that tire blew. Looking at the tire, the inside of the tire was rubbed down more than the outside of the tire. I got new tires put on yesterday and the shop said that I should look into wheel spacers but they don't install them. The weird thing is that I never had this problem for the first few years that I had the springs. Could it be a suspension problem? I'm really not sure what to do...

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Are you sure it was rubbing on the control arm? Is there any damage to wheel or control arm at all from this "locking up"? Did you install any kind of rear camber kit?

It almost sounds more like your brakes just grabbed a little better when it's wet out (which can happen sometimes), and the tire wear is from improper rear camber settings...

·
Mein Teil
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The control arm has traces of rubber on it. When that wheel locks up, it feels like the tire moves toward the inside of the car. Maybe I need a camber kit? :dunno:

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
The control arm has traces of rubber on it. When that wheel locks up, it feels like the tire moves toward the inside of the car. Maybe I need a camber kit? :dunno:
Have you installed any kind of camber kit already?

What type of springs do you have (brand, drop, etc.)?

Are there any worn components in the back (have a shop inspect it if you're not sure how to)?

Are your brakes functioning properly, or could they be the source of the tire locking up (again, have a shop check if you're not sure how)?

Without much information specific to your car, it's kind of hard for us to help you figure out what's wrong with it...:ugh2:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts