Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold my Ripp SDS si its the perfect time to start my TT kit and change my pistons for forged one by the same time.

in fact i didnt had the choices for pistons, #6 cylinder is out of compression after a incient happened thursday night coming back from work.

The incident is due to a combination of factors that caused detonation while racing my first of the season.

it first started when i filled my car 3 days ago. i was in an hurry going to work so i stopped at the first gas station on my way, a station with service. i ask the man a fill of super (91). Usually i go to another station, filling with 94.
later that day i let someone i trust a lot take my car for a trip to a store. he came back and tell me he felt something wrong happened when he was sligthly accelerating in third gear.

i take my car and go to lunch and notice a bad idle and some misfire, i come back rigth now and take my #4 plug out first. it was mashed :squint: i check the other 3 front one and there good, i then checked compression in the 3 front cylinder, twice, and came with 175-180 on all three.

i put a new plug in and start the car. everythings fine and back to normal. i test drive going back home after work and everything is perfect. the next day start as the hottest day we had so far this year, a hint of summer in our freezing mind... it went to 19 degree celcius (dont forget i live up north :sam: ) during this day i installed my new mags and tires and reajusted my air fuel map to run richer to avoid an incident like the one that happened the day before.

on my way home there is a red integra that get behind me and made it clear he wanted to race. i coulndt push it until the car in front of me turned and left me a clear straight way in front of me. i down shifted to third and floored it hitting 150 kmh in split seconds. distancing the red integra easely i started to feel the rush.. i wasnt satisfied enough so i shifted in 4th gear and floored it again, looking back to see the integra shrink in my mirror.

but then then it happened again as i was to let it go, hitting 180 in a 90 zone (kmh). the sound of my engine changed and i pressed the clutch immediately and cruised. my engine shutted off ater a few seconds and i stopped by the side of the road.

i knew rigth there what just happened but i was wishing for luck... again... i called for someone to bring my tools up to me. i remove the #4 plug, it was perfect, i removed #2 and 6, they were mashed. a hint of hope then filled me for a moment. i then took compression on cylinder 2, it was ok. #4 was ok too. then #6, 70... the hint of hope i felt a few seconds later just left me, replaced by a feeling of powerlessness and the smell of a tow truck...:rant2:

sorry if it was that long :ugh:

so the factors are:

poor gas
worn plugs
higher air temperature than usual( i did the tune i was running on much much colder days)

i floored the 4th up to the top many times before with this tune and set up before (with the BB and the emanage)and never had any problems. so many factors can be eliminated right from the start.

in the meantime i closed the deal to sell my SDS set up.

so i decided to built the tt project on my car NOW...

keeping most of my fuel management upgrades, i dont miss much parts to finish my built. except fot the unexpected pistons and related gasket...

i started today, backing the car in my garage and started dissasembly.

here is the last pics of my engine bay as it was.

and after 4 hours :

Tomorrow :

Engine bay clean up!

·
Never say never!
10,837 Posts
Should be interesting. Keep us updated with pics and info!:twothumb:

·
New daddy
3,352 Posts
The way you describe it, it sounds like you had too much timing for the octane that you were running. Anyway good luck with the TT. :twothumb:

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
THats the thing i hate about states that dont let you pump, in washington you pump your own <3 I DREED going to oregon and getting gas.

·
Turbo Buick > you
1,336 Posts
In New Jersey is supposedly illegal for you to pump your own gas, but i dont trust them at all. I always insist that i do it myself, and its never a problem for them.

Not to mention they would ALWAYS poor gas all over the side of your car under the filler cap when they pull the thing out. I bring a rag with me every time i get gas and make sure nothing drips out.

Good luck with the TT setup bud! Make sure you keep us posted!

PS: Thats one dirty engine bay heh

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
callmeebryan said:
PS: Thats one dirty engine bay heh
after my sds install in september, it was real clean, but a bad oil cap caused oil surge spill everywere and winter added to that made a real messy under hood, but temperature is sunny today, im cleaning it in a few minute.. :)

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
Doc Nitrous said:
after my sds install in september, it was real clean, but a bad oil cap caused oil surge spill everywere and winter added to that made a real messy under hood, but temperature is sunny today, im cleaning it in a few minute.. :)
Didnt you use the upgrades OIL cap from RIPP, also you can double gasket that cap for added protection.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Clipse3GT said:
Didnt you use the upgrades OIL cap from RIPP, also you can double gasket that cap for added protection.
no, but i found that by thigthening the screw underneath the cap, it stopped to spill when boosting...

the engine bay is clean now

pics to come later, ill go back in my garage to clean some parts i removed yesterday...

G

·
Are you going to remove those headers? I hope you held on to your old manifolds. Why are you abandoning the SDS, if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the tune was fine for months and me emanage work fine, i dont see how ist crappier than others...

i was planning long before to built a TT kit so i just waited for the deal on my SDS to close and start the project...

i really liked my SDS, but for cheaper i can built myself a TT kit now that i have a tig welder to make my parts myself

the pics of the clean up!

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
i dont think the emanage is worse than other piggybacks. Its just not enough for what you need. The thing is you were getting alot of det and apparently its been getting some for a little while before it blew. If i were you i would def. go w/ some type of standalone ecu. Would be the smartest thing to do at this point.

·
Sebring 6G72
518 Posts
y would u continue to drive it after pulling the plug and seeing the plug was smashed?

your ringlands broke and mashed the plug... that normally means park the car

·
WannaB Sexual Banana
2,793 Posts
Doc Nitrous said:
i think that the guy may be stoopid and poored in ordinary gas...
He mixed a lil diesel in :p ... jk, Good luck with the TT! Get you a GTS plenum too :naughty:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Burn504 said:
y would u continue to drive it after pulling the plug and seeing the plug was smashed?

your ringlands broke and mashed the plug... that normally means park the car

i didnt continue to drive after the plugs mashed...

i continued to drive after #4 mashed, the day before, and after double checking compression was perfect. then RETUNED my car RICHER, on all the rpm band. to make sure i would be safe for the fews days i had left before i remove my SDS (it was already plan that i sell it, was just waiting for the deposit before removing it).

i drove home and back to work the day after (60 miles), pushing it, but was monitoring and datalogging, and everything was fine. after my day of work, i then drove home after work and it happened. i never notice any detonation before the incident, nor did i trip a code. in fact when i blew, according to my data, i was not even lean, i was stoich. but before that i was rich bit. its my cylinder #6 that lost compression, not #4, #4 and 2 are still perfect, as well as my rear bank cylinders. so the incident that happened the day before didnt hade anything to do with #6 blowing, but are cause by the same combination of factors: worn plugs, poor gas and higher air temperature than usual.

my tune may not have been prefect but with 6PSI it was safe. safe enough for me to run 3000 miles before, pushing it as hard. if not harder. before that i did another 4000 miles 'tuning', and 2000 miles on the BB. Noticed detonation once, when i was running stage 2, with the BB and stock fuel pump 7500 miles befere that...

about poor gas, my girlfriend did go to same place the same day as me and she had misfire since on his stock focus.. i refilled it with gas from elsewere yesterday and came back normal...

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
MitsuGTRacing said:
He mixed a lil diesel in :p ... jk, Good luck with the TT! Get you a GTS plenum too :naughty:
thanks

about the plenum i plan on doing a custom one, may not be ready by the end of the rebuilt but a few week after..

1 - 20 of 33 Posts