Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Generally Bitter Admin
28,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Motor Authority said:

In a rather bizarre study released today Strategic Vision claims that minorities (full results for Caucasians were not released) have a ‘vehicle DNA’ that is composed of a ‘driver’s desires, needs and attribute priorities.’ Why they decided to phrase ‘vehicle preference’ in such a Social Darwinian manner as ‘vehicle DNA’ remains unclear. As do the survey results if you read them in their entirety. Full dissection after the jump.

We’ll start with the study’s results so we know what we’re dealing with. Claiming to be the bible for car makers to design and market cars to minorities - specifically, African-Americans, Hispanics and Asians - the Strategic Vision survey rates the ‘emotional response’ and ‘desires’ each group has for various vehicular attributes such as ‘Cute,’ ‘Aggressive,’ ‘Classy’ or ‘Bold.’ Strategic Vision claims that African-American buyers prefer cars that are ‘Classy’ and ‘Powerful’ while Hispanics prefer ‘Aggressive’ and ‘Powerful,’ but also ‘Confident’ and ‘Protective.’ Asian buyers, on the other hand, are looking for cars that offer the “‘complete’ package,’ being ‘Pleasant’ yet ‘Powerful’ and also ‘Easy Going’ and ‘Protective.’ How they arrive at these results is unclear - they make little mention of their methodology and none of their sample size. But more on that later. Now for the dissection.

First, the study groups two racial groups with an ethnic group. Hispanics include members of nearly every racial group - it’s a cultural reference to a person born in or descended from a Spanish-speaking country - including Spain itself. Likewise, the term ‘Latino’ is a geographic identifier, not a racial group. Persons of all races are born and raised in Latin America, and speak a multitude of languages from Spanish to Brazilian Portuguese to the many dialects of pre-Colombian languages. The Strategic Survey uses the terms ‘Hispanic’ and ‘Latino’ interchangeably and apparently without consideration for the differences the group to which they are referring bears in relation to the other two groups. This is a major confounding variable in the study and should be accounted for - but is not, or at least is not discussed in the released results.

The ‘TQI’ or Total Quality Index purports to ‘capture the more complete experience buyers have with his or her (sic) vehicle including rational and emotional connection.’ This sort of ’statistic’ is ripe for criticism - just read the description - with so much room for redefinition and arbitrary assignment of values that it is essentially meaningless. But upon reading the results for the TQI it appears even more obvious that the differences measured are below the acceptable margin of error even for a highly accurate scientific (i.e. not humanities) study. Margins of error between 0.001 and 0.05 are generally considered to mean a study’s results are determinate, and in the humanities and social sciences (where this survey would fall) margins of error up to 0.20 would be acceptable to show a trend for further investigation.

The Strategic Vision survey finds that differences as little as one point in a scale of 1,000 (0.001) predicts vehicular preference (the Chrysler 300C scoring just one point higher than Mercedes’ ill-fated R-Class wagon) - but nonetheless fails to stick with its own most-predicted vehicle. For example, the survey repeatedly points to the Chrysler 300C as a ‘vehicle of choice’ for African-Americans, but neglects to mention that the Infinity FX rates 11 points higher on its own TQI index or that more African-American buyers purchased Nissans and Toyotas than all GM and Chrysler vehicles combined.

In fact the Chrysler 300 ranks sixth on the list of models purchased by African-Americans by the survey’s own data - the Nissan Altima, Toyota Corolla, Nissan Sentra, Ford F-150 and Toyota Camry all beating out the 300 for the top five spots. While the Ford F-150 could be called both ‘Classy’ and ‘Powerful’ in terms of its looks - by some, anyway - the remainder of the top five cars would be hard-pressed to match up with even one of those descriptors, much less both. But for some reason (again undisclosed) Strategic Vision decided to place the Chrysler 300 as the paradigmatic African-American car.

The so-called ‘index’ scores in the third column of the survey results indicate the percentage of buyers in the racial or ethnic group surveyed in relation to the general population, i.e. Nissan’s index of 201 for African-Americans indicates that roughly twice as many African-Americans buy Nissan compared to the general population. Chrysler does score high in the index, but so does Kia and Mercedes - neither of which are even mentioned in the text of the survey results.

A trip to Strategic Visions homepage shows that the ‘method’ used is presented in a number of colorful graphs, but little in the way of actual information is supplied. For instance what makes the ‘tree’ of human emotional needs more accurate or representative than Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs to which the tree bears significant resemblance (and which is much more widely accepted in the social sciences)? And a close reading of the final paragraph shows that their ‘quantum’ scale is an ordinal scale (like a Likert scale) that is subject to all the imprecision and criticism that comes with it. But even beyond the application (or at least disclosure) of proper statistical methodology (they keep much secret because of the commercial nature of their organization), the interpretation of those results is questionable at best and clearly inaccurate at worst.

The bottom line is that using unstated methods and absurdly precise indexes to measure things as vague as ‘emotions’ and ‘desires’ is a recipe for statistical disaster, and Strategic Vision’s latest survey doesn’t disappoint. If you’re in the market for truisms (’if you understand customer values and provide a vehicle that delivers the right product and message, you will sell more vehicles’) but aren’t concerned with actually knowing any customer values or determining what the right product or message might be, read the survey below as gospel. Otherwise, move on. Nothing to see here folks. Just a statistical train wreck.

·
Sehnsucht
8,398 Posts
that last car is freaking stupid man

fixed it for you

but back on topic, i have to agree with that study. you see it mostly around here and on the base. more people of color tend to drive cadillac SUV, chrysler 300's, and other luxury type cars more than you see them driving anything else. they even do this when there is no way they can afford it (some private bought himself one, could not make the payments on it and had it repo) but for the few months he drove it, he was big ballin', according to him. i think that it may have to do with a status thing.

·
54,424 Posts
i may get ripped for this a little, but its not status as much as it is over compensating from coming from poverty, i'll bet if you ask that private if he from a poor family he'd say yes. i know blacks who come from well off families and they could afford big chrome wheels and cadillacs etc but dont want them.

·
Batman Scholar
2,499 Posts
i may get ripped for this a little, but its not status as much as it is over compensating from coming from poverty, i'll bet if you ask that private if he from a poor family he'd say yes. i know blacks who come from well off families and they could afford big chrome wheels and cadillacs etc but dont want them.
You nailed it. It is overcompensating more than anything else.

In Mexico there is a big preference for european cars. Here we get Peugeot and the streets are crawling with the little 206 models, along with the nicer 206cc (convertible hard top). However, the cars suck. We also get Renault and Fiat... but we did not learn the lesson from the US about those.

People who car afford an expensive car buy Audi, BMW or Mercedes. I have a friend who bought an SLK 200 and re-badged it to SLK 350. Who cares if it reads "kompressor" on the side (the 350's are not supercharged)...he decided to turn it it to a bowl of rice by putting the wrong emblem to it.

Another friend owns a car shop and says that 70% of his business comes from people who buy a 3 series BMW and want to make them look like an M3.

·
More guns than sense
38,301 Posts
I think this is definitely true. I grew up pretty damn poor and went on a spending binge in my early 20s when I finally had two dimes to rub together. I'm more responsible financially now than I was then, but I still tend to prefer "quality over quantity" to this day.

But being Indo-Pak, even when buying a "luxury" car, I chose Toyota :lol: That survey's definitely true.

·
Premium Member
16,710 Posts
I think people are just looking for attention, and it doesnt matter what race you are. Emos dress funny to get attention, ricers make there cars loud and mod the outside to get attention, people fight to get attention, Brittany Spears does stupid stuff to get attention, rich people buy fancy cars/houses/clothes to get attention..etc...

Thats my $.02.

·
King Shango
3,077 Posts
Afro Americans Have this

While in the same breathe

Crackers have this

I Think race doesnt have to do with car you buy but the way you style it. In my area i see just as many caucasian people driving 300 C as Afro Americans. The afro Americans on the other hand have Deep Dish Blacked out Tints, Tails and Heavy Chrome Accents. Caucasians on the other hand remain normally stock. Same thing with the Dodge Charger, Caucasians go for those bright colored chargers while afro americans have darker colors with Heavy Rims on theirs. Its all about styling.. IMO

·
I r bad spellr, stfu
4,028 Posts
Another friend owns a car shop and says that 70% of his business comes from people who buy a 3 series BMW and want to make them LOOK like an M3.
Why the hell would you pay to make your car LOOK like something it is not. You can make some 3 series perform better than a stock M3 with simple mods. I guess I just don't get it.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Why the hell would you pay to make your car LOOK like something it is not. You can make some 3 series perform better than a stock M3 with simple mods. I guess I just don't get it.
B/c it LOOKS to be a more expensive car... some people see the need to look like they have more than they car really afford. I dunno either as to why, i guess it makes them feel better or something.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I don't see any difference in stupidity between the donks that blacks have and this

Seems that ignorance is plentiful no matter what color your skin is.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I agree.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts