Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Administrator
16,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard putting grease along the weather stripping helps some, but is there a good technique anyone knows on how to keep our doors from freezing shut?

·
Premium Member
8,831 Posts
WD40 the weather stripping. Find out where It is getting stuck. If its the lock freezing then there isn't to much preventative measures you can do.

·
passport applied for
2,437 Posts
Good ole vaselin or a cheap car cover may help, i hate it when i see people tugging on their door handles trying to open them. I run warm water over mine if they get stuck to bad but being a spyder i keep my weatherstripping lubed always!!:)

·
54,487 Posts
silicone grease can help with the weather stripping, but honestly if it's iced over then it's iced over. if it's the door latch, flood it with spray silicone lube a few times and latch/unlatch it a bunch with a screw driver shaft.

·
more guinness
734 Posts
whatever you do, don't try to pull it open with the door handle. Mine was frozen shut and it snapped off while I was trying to open it.

·
Fuck salt.
5,170 Posts
Blow torch :dunno:

·
Premium Member
16,710 Posts
Chapstick works.

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
whatever you do, don't try to pull it open with the door handle. Mine was frozen shut and it snapped off while I was trying to open it.
I have done this before, luckily it didn't break, just the little snap in part came off. So now if my door is frozen, I just pull the handle, while getting my fingers between the door and car and pull the door.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I vote for the car cover...especially for such a nice car.

I should try it myself when we're gonna have snow, I have one lying around that will probably fit the car.

That happened to me a couple times.. I don't think it was the latch. Maybe prying the door metal with something plastic instead of yanking on the handle.

·
2010s are gay!
1,252 Posts
I wouldn't recommend a car cover at all if you want to keep the paint in good shape, I bought one because of my cat sleeping on my car all the time and tracking dirt all over.
But when I got it she still slept on the roof rubbing the cover around causing a million scratches. So if the cover gets irritated it could mess up the paint.

On the original topic, Here in Georgia it snows about once a year, no problems opening doors. :yum:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts