Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking for a double din head unit that has gps and dvd...capable of bluetooth & ipod yadi yadi yada and not a flip out screen... im kinda looking at the pioneer avic d3 BUT it only has one slot so im gonna have to be switching between cd's and the dvd maps which would be a PAIN!!

does anyone have any suggestions of what i could get that has what i want/need? :quiver:

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Yes. Get an iPod and never use a CD again. And do you really have to put the DVD's in every time you wanna use the gps?

·
Moved On
1,861 Posts
No they save to the unit. Not sure if they save forever or if it just saves the last one that was in it. But I do know in the 3 vehicles I've driven with them, the GPS can be on and working and be jammin to a CD. Good unit by the way.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Well there is your answer.

EDIT: I guess it only saves the last one, or the area around it. Here is a article from CNET:http://reviews.cnet.com/car-gps-navigation/pioneer-avic-d3/4505-3430_7-32319805.html

En route to the required destination, the Avic-D3 uses turn-by-turn voice prompts (including text-to-voice functionality) to call out turns and the names of individual roads. We like this feature, as it really helps drivers avoid misinterpreting turn directions. During the first two to three minutes of the journey, a green floppy-disc icon flashes on the bottom of the screen, which indicates that the system is saving the current route to its internal memory. The reason that the system has to memorize maps in this way is not immediately apparent, but after a chat with a Pioneer technician (our test unit is so new that it didn't come with a user manual), we discovered our major gripe with the Avic-D3. To wit, the relevant DVD-ROM (there is one for the western United States and one for the eastern states) has to be inserted into the disc slot for the unit to make route calculations and to display maps on any level of zoom closer than the 25-mile scale. When the DVD-ROM is removed--for the purposes of using the disc slot to play CDs, for example--the Avic-D3 resorts to "memory navi mode," which will allow drivers only to access the last route that was entered. Memory navi mode also disables destination entry and any editing of the current route. Accordingly, users of the Avic-D3 will have to ensure that they always have the relevant disc on hand each time they want to enter a new destination or add in a waypoint to an existing route. Alternatively, they could leave the navigation disc in the unit and resolve never to play a media disc.
This really wouldn't be a problem for me though, as I only use my Ipod.

Why not get this one:http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/Navigation/In-Dash/AVIC-F90BT

It has the 2disc GPS maps compressed onto a flash memory.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i just bought the d3 the other day oh and it came with the ipod wire... i wanted the 90bt but it was way out of my budget :sad: but thanks for the help guys!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts