Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Front ball joints started squeaking a lot recently, And just today as I was heading to work I hear A clunking sound underneath my car... I assume my front ball joints and shocks/strut's are near the end. I already ordered A full coil over suspension kit, along with new ball joints. My question is how long can I continue to drive my car in this condition? I need the car for work primarily.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldnt go too long. You can lift up each corner and manually move the parts to better gauge the condition of the parts and how worn they are.
Thank you. The new suspension parts will be here by early September 3rd, I will take your advice and examine the worn parts. Until then I will only drive the car to work and back.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've been working on my suspension my self. I decided to go full moog for everything so far, but I am not sure what I should do for the shocks them selves. I don't make a lot of money so I am a bit on a budget so anything that is hundreds of dollars over stock wont work.

·
Low and Slow.
1,880 Posts
I've been working on my suspension my self. I decided to go full moog for everything so far, but I am not sure what I should do for the shocks them selves. I don't make a lot of money so I am a bit on a budget so anything that is hundreds of dollars over stock wont work.
RockAuto and KYB brand struts. The Excel Gs are a good replacement.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Spyder GT
835 Posts
Driving your vehicle with known worn parts is just asking for trouble.. Not only are you taking a chance but you are also putting others at risk . I know you don`t want to hear this but let`s say you get in an accident and some one dies , how are you going to feel then @HarryKM
Take a bus or cab to work.(y)
Ask a friend or co-worker for a lift .(y)
Steal a car and then ditch it... no no ... don`t do that ....:devilish:

·
Registered
24 Posts
A lot of the times the clunking sound is from loose/worn sway bar links, if not the top hats of the struts are worn, two of the most common noises from suspension.
That's what I am replacing now. I got the rear two done, and am working on the front. I still get a creak when I put on the brake though. I think I may need to change out the rear control arms.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Front ball joints started squeaking a lot recently, And just today as I was heading to work I hear A clunking sound underneath my car... I assume my front ball joints and shocks/strut's are near the end. I already ordered A full coil over suspension kit, along with new ball joints. My question is how long can I continue to drive my car in this condition? I need the car for work primarily.
Use KYB struts with a lifetime warranty and change the ball joints within two hours, so you can drive to work. The struts will take about an hour for each side depending on how you want to replace them.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Spyder GT
835 Posts
I would think @HarryKM has his car back on the road by now @man300mmello ... Last we heard from Harry was four months ago. Your post is an example of what happens when we don't update our post's... Maybe Harry can let us know where he is at with this thing....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts