Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Land Shark!
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Right now my car is sitting in the shop awaiting the completion of my turbo kit. I rode up there today to check up on things and my tuner suggested that we put a 6 psi spring in at first, run it for a little bit, then come back and put the 10 psi spring that I had planned on back in after the engine got a little taste of the boost first. Would this be a wise decision? One side of me thinks this is a good thing trying to keep it as safe as possible but the other part of me thinks it would be a waste of time and money to tune it twice. I'm heavily leaning toward the 6 to 10 psi route but I'm open to your opinions on this as to whether it would have any impact on the safety of this project. Oh and if it matters my car has 46000 miles on it.

·
New daddy
3,352 Posts
If it was my car, I would tune the car at 6 psi and leave it that way for a little while. Your car is bound to have problems or bugs that need to be worked out: i.e. running rich/lean, timing too advanced, boost spikes, ect There is no sense in trying to be the "track hero" the first time you run with the turbo, and end up blowing up your motor. When upping the boost there is a lot of things to think about: compressor efficiency, turbine size and efficiency, intercooler efficiency, fuel system up to par, retard ignition timing, piston ring gap, ect. BTW, what does your setup consist of?

·
Land Shark!
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks, that's probably just what I needed to hear to make up my mind. No need to be going all out the first time and screwing something up. I'll be happy with 6 psi for a while and then I'll jump up to 10 later on.

By the way my setup consists of this:

Turbonetics t3/t4 turbo .63 A/R , RC 440 cc injectors, walbro 255, emanage w/ ign. and inj. harnesses, tial 38 mm wastegate, type s bov, aeromotive rising rate fpr , 3" apexi n1, 30x7x3 FMIC, 2 row aluminum radiator, assorted gauges.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts