Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I know how much you guys (and everybody in general) hate to purchase Ebay intakes. However, last night, I received my "ZomkSpeed" CAI off of EBay and I must say, everything looks really good. In general, it's all 6061 (or equivalent) piping, so piping is piping, right? The only thing I might doubt is running a cheap filter, which will be regrettable if I don't replace it shortly.

When I bought this, I wasn't looking for a huge horsepower spike. I really enjoy driving the Eclipse and using it is my" cruising car" while keeping my Isuzu as my money pit. I live in Georgia, so I don't have to worry about emissions testing and since we've been in a long drought (climate shift, as some say), I don't need to worry about an air bypass valve either.

Anyways, enough of my rambling. The total (including shipping) came out right under $50, and I must say, this intake looks and feels way better than the $50 price tag.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Well, as long as it keeps you happy. But, as many people have posted and judging by your pic, there is a huge difference in the pipe diameter. Anyway, good luck... and keep an eye on this thread 'cause as 04gsNA said, this IS in the wrong place.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, wow. Sorry guys, I didn't classify this thread right.

Didn't mean to make a bother. Thanks for moving it.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
It actually doesnt look bad at all. I would definitely get a better filter though, maybe a k&n or aem filter.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Can anyone post pics of where their air filter extends to if it is below the car or half way down to the bottom of the engine bay, i would like to know because i drive in snow so CAI + Snow = plugged filter and water in engine = bad. pics anyone or explaination? WAI better for me?

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Can anyone post pics of where their air filter extends to if it is below the car or half way down to the bottom of the engine bay, i would like to know because i drive in snow so CAI + Snow = plugged filter and water in engine = bad. pics anyone or explaination? WAI better for me?
1) snow will not kill your engine, besides the filter should block it (the snow should "plug" your filter and not allow anything to pass and get into the engine)
2) your 3G is not a snow plow and should not be used as such! Unless you ram your car into a snow bank and rev te hell out of it I don't think you would be able to hydrolock the engine by snow alone. Hell, even if you did run into a snow bank I doubt it would hydrolock.

My old ebay CAI extended down to about 3 or 4 inches above the plastic guards under the bumper. The cone was actually tucked behind the bumper and semi protected. In order to hydrolock your engine the filter must be COMPLETELY submerged (in water) in order for the vacuum from the engine to pull the water up the intake and into the engine itself. I would not worry about snow. I would worry about very deep puddles. If you think you will be driving though deep puddles then get a bypass valve.

·
Boosted
3,815 Posts
I had a budy that sucked in a bunch of water in an extremely huge puddle. He had to get it towed, but i dont' think any engine damage resulted. Just a hassle, and he was late for the PT formation.

·
Registered
41 Posts
thanks for the information, it shouldn't be a problem with my car, I've only gone through that deep of water once, and i hydroplaned it so my car didn't sink :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It looks nice to me. Does it have support brackets like more expensive ones??
Yes it does. The first one if before the MAF sensor and uses an existing bolt to hook up. You don't have to use it though. Just sitting the intake on the lower plastic piece seems to support it enough. --- There is also another one near the bottom of the intake that uses one of the stock intake box bolts to hold it in place. Everything fits good and slid right where it should.

As for hydro-lock, the filter sits right were the old intake extension used to sit; around 3-4 inches or so from the plastic skid plate. So long as you don't go sliding through puddles at full blast you shouldn't have any problems.

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
I dont mind those ebay intakes, but the only thing I really hate is that with the cheap ones you get rubber couplers. Are yours silicone or rubber? Could you take a quick pic of one? Thanks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The ones that came with the kit were rubber. However, the one connecting the intake to the throttle body is silicone.

So far, I've got no problem; but silicone couplers would have been nice.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
As for hydro-lock, the filter sits right were the old intake extension used to sit; around 3-4 inches or so from the plastic skid plate. So long as you don't go sliding through puddles at full blast you shouldn't have any problems.
:scratch: The stock air intake comes from the plastic "scoop" that sits just under the hood. The stock air inlet is almost at the same height as the stock MAF sensor/box. You would almost have to have the car submerged to the point where water was at the windows in order to get water into it. That is the case with the V6 at least.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:scratch: The stock air intake comes from the plastic "scoop" that sits just under the hood. The stock air inlet is almost at the same height as the stock MAF sensor/box. You would almost have to have the car submerged to the point where water was at the windows in order to get water into it. That is the case with the V6 at least.
Sorry about that. I meant to say that the intake filter goes about 3-4 inches below the place where the intake baffle extends.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Awesome! another happy ebay intake recipient. I got my 2.75" 6061 aluminum intake that had the 2 supporting brackets and a silicone elbow at the top and then the two rubber connectors at the maf for $30 shipped. If people did a little more research and messaged some people who had bought the product and asked them their opinions-I think we would have a lot more happy ebay purchases.

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
Awesome! another happy ebay intake recipient. I got my 2.75" 6061 aluminum intake that had the 2 supporting brackets and a silicone elbow at the top and then the two rubber connectors at the maf for $30 shipped. If people did a little more research and messaged some people who had bought the product and asked them their opinions-I think we would have a lot more happy ebay purchases.
How many plys of silicone is the coupler composed of? Which kit did you buy exactly? And lastly can you get a pic?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts