Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought an 03 eclipse gts that needs a whole new engine. What would it take to drop a spyders in it.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Really just wanted to know if I needed a conversion kit....
Conversion kit for what? There's nothing to "convert" one engine to another. This is why I said take it to a shop. There's differences between the 6 years of the 3G and between even the GT and GTS models that a shop can point out. Asking "what would it take" rather than what are the differences between this and this" is why I know you won't be swapping the engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Conversion kit for what? There's nothing to "convert" one engine to another. This is why I said take it to a shop. There's differences between the 6 years of the 3G and between even the GT and GTS models that a shop can point out. Asking "what would it take" rather than what are the differences between this and this" is why I know you won't be swapping the engine.
Thank you for the correction, but I can tell you that I will be. It’s a challenge I’m willing to take on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the correction, but I can tell you that I will be. It’s a challenge I’m willing to take on.
Also no need to be condescending about my question. I saw you recent thread about the work you did on your car so I know you know what your talking about. But I can tell you this is my first eclipse project.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Spyder only means convertible. Has nothing to do with the engine. What matters is your submodel and year when finding a donor engine. The GTS has a 10.0:1 compression engine and was only available in the 03-05 years. The GT has a 9.0:1 compression engine and different cams. There were also differences in the ignition system around mid 01 to early 02 which is why the year matters.

Only use an 03-05 GTS or Spyder GTS engine in yours or expect it to lose some power.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Spyder only means convertible. Has nothing to do with the engine. What matters is your submodel and year when finding a donor engine. The GTS has a 10.0:1 compression engine and was only available in the 03-05 years. The GT has a 9.0:1 compression engine and different cams. There were also differences in the ignition system around mid 01 to early 02 which is why the year matters.

Only use an 03-05 GTS or Spyder GTS engine in yours or expect it to lose some power.
Thank you. I really appreciate you help with this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts