Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm buying my first car, I'd like something that looks good and moves. I've read that the Gen3 and older Eclipse RS & GS engines can handle more psi than the GT, and are easier, and cheaper to mod for more Horsepower. [right, wrong?]

I can find a used 2001 rs for around 4k, and a slightly damaged 2003 gt for about the same. I've also seen several 1990 - 1999 Eclipses around for a bit less. Which engine can I boost to get the most power out of for the lowest price, and which engine is the best equipped to handle the most power?

I can also find a used BMW M3 for around 6k, and a turbo kit for the M3 for around 4k. I've read that with a similar kit someone was running a 3.6 0 to 60. Can the Eclipse come close to these numbers, and what would it take?

·
Registered
90 Posts
If I had the option, I definitely would have gone 2g > my 3g. If I was doing this though, I would have only gotten a GSX or GST, but preferably the GSX. GSX is turboed AWD and GST is turboed FWD. Im also pretty sure the BMW will walk all over the 3g. That's as much as want to say without giving false information.

·
hashtagyolo
1,385 Posts
I'm not sure how accurate my info will be, but my friend used to have an M3 and it was fast as fuck. I can't see a 3g touching it. Unless it's one of the million dollar builds we have on here. But the M3 ALWAYS needs maintenance. Performance wise, take the M3. But if you want a boosted Eclipse, get a 2g GSX or GS-T. I love my 01 GT though.

·
Boobs!? WHERE!?!
1,030 Posts
Double post! WTF man?

·
Boobs!? WHERE!?!
1,030 Posts
If I had the option, I definitely would have gone 2g > my 3g. If I was doing this though, I would have only gotten a GSX or GST, but preferably the GSX. GSX is turboed AWD and GST is turboed FWD. Im also pretty sure the BMW will walk all over the 3g. That's as much as want to say without giving false information.
Gotta disagree pal... GS-T is a much safer option when it comes to HP. You throw AWD into the mix and ALOT more things are able to break. Once you pass the 350-400 range, you'll start snapping driveaxles like they're goin outta style. Way heavier maintenance also. A stock M3 really isn't as powerful as you think. The main thing it has over us is RWD and an inline V6 with means more available torque to the wheels. Crunch the numbers for yourself...

Eclipse

3.0 L V6
Horsepower - 210hp.
Torque - 205ft. lbs.
Curb Weight -
Hatchback: 2,822 lb (1,280 kg)
Convertible: 3,042 lb (1,380 kg)

M3 (E36)

3.0 L I6
Horsepower - 240hp.
Torque - 225ft. lbs.
Curb Weight -
Coupe: 1,460 kg (3,219 lb)
Convertible: 1,560 kg (3,439 lb)

This is stock, btw.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info, the M3 does look like a good buy. I've also found a Dodge SRT-4 for around 7k. Rebuilt title, which sucks, but if everything checks out it could possibly be a good car.

·
Boobs!? WHERE!?!
1,030 Posts
Thanks for the info, the M3 does look like a good buy. I've also found a Dodge SRT-4 for around 7k. Rebuilt title, which sucks, but if everything checks out it could possibly be a good car.
Negative... DO NOT get the SRT unless you know what you're doing. That car was probably owned by some stupid kid who wrecked it and half assed the repair job. Also, those cars are littered with defects. For one, after about 50k miles, the oil lines to the turbo deteriorate and cause the oil and parts of the line to dump through the turbo, destroying the impellers over time. The fact that you can get sick power out of it is not worth the repair and upkeep in those vehicles. Do your research bud, it's not worth paying for someone else's mistake. You want a good and relatively inexpensive car? Do the eclipse. 2G or 3G, it's your best bet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.