Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I scoured the forums for info on this issue, but was unsuccessful.

I recently bought an used 2001 Eclipse GT, but the key the previous owner gave me only starts the car, but will not let me open the trunk. This is a pain as I can't simply open the trunk, but rather have to get into the car to pull the trunk release. I asked the guy I bought it from to see if he had other keys, as I suspect this may be some kind of valet key, but he says that's the only key he ever got from the previous owner.

Anyway, does anyone know of a company or web site that will cut a "real" key that will allow me to open the trunk? Or is there a way to get a key fob to open it remotely? I've only found sites to replace the key-less entry.

Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Kampfbereit
17,852 Posts
If it starts your car there is a good probability that the rear lock is damaged somehow. The key fob only works for the doors, the rear hatch doesn't have that ability to pop itself remotely like that.

Just drop by Holler and have them replace your rear lock and they will match it up to your existing key.

·
Waiting to spool
3,237 Posts
Do you have aftermarket tails? The cable on my lock was never hooked up to my TYC's so turning the key didn't do anything. If you take off the panel to get to the tail light you should be able to see if it's hooked up and turning properly.

·
Shut up.
3,700 Posts
If it starts your car there is a good probability that the rear lock is damaged somehow. The key fob only works for the doors, the rear hatch doesn't have that ability to pop itself remotely like that.

Just drop by Holler and have them replace your rear lock and they will match it up to your existing key.
Not exactly. Most mitsu's came with 3 keys new. 2 black keys that work every lock cylinder on the car, and one grey key that only worked the door and ignition which was the valet key so the nosey pricks parking you car couldnt get into the glove box and hatch. Which seems kinda use less since it is a hatchback :scratch: (Fold down seats that dont lock?)

From what ive read this is what the he has is a valet key.

·
Kampfbereit
17,852 Posts
Not exactly. Most mitsu's came with 3 keys new. 2 black keys that work every lock cylinder on the car, and one grey key that only worked the door and ignition which was the valet key so the nosey pricks parking you car couldnt get into the glove box and hatch. Which seems kinda use less since it is a hatchback :scratch: (Fold down seats that dont lock?)

From what ive read this is what the he has is a valet key.
That's a good point. I bought my car brand new, and the extra fob, black and grey key are still in the original envelope that it was shipped with.

·
"S" Car...Gooooooo
1,350 Posts
Really the only ways I know of to get the key working on the hatch are these (assuming hte lock actually works of course):

1) Go to a locksmith and get them to cut one by "keying" the lock either by geting the cylinder to match your key, or by manually getting a key to match the cylinder (better but more$)
2) Go to a Mitsu dealer, give them your VIN and proof that you actually own the car, and they should be able to cut and program one for you - you can program the key yourself if you have two work ignition keys to save money

·
Fossilized Member
1,206 Posts
You can pick up blank keys off of ebay for about $14. (I have done this) Take them anywhere that cuts keys and have them cut to match your valet key. (Lowes did this for me for free since I already had the key) The main difference between the valet and the master keys is the thickness, not the cut pattern. Once they are cut, you can go by the dealership and have them programmed if you want the new key to start the car as well. It will be a lot cheaper for you to have the keys made somewhere other than the dealership.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts