Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2001 4 cylinder, manual shift, built in feb 2000. Looks like I might have to change the etac, so in order to avoid a trip to the dealer (they quote me 300 to 600 for etac swap me providing etac) it seems that if i get the ecu, etac, immobilizer and key switch from the donor I will not have to go to the dealer.... Is my assumption correct?
I have a guy that can program the keys for $40 and I can key the donor cylinder to match my existing key (pull a part generally does not have the vehicle keys). That will save me quite a bit of money...

Does the donor has to be exactly the same vehicle as mine? I guess so as probably there are sensors in the convertible that might not exist on the plain eclipse gs...

Any other alternatives?

I have an etac for a similar vehicle but it is not exactly the same model etac. I just want to swap them to see if the signal lights/hazard light start working once I swap it. I know the car wont start but I dont need that, all I need is to check the lights start working... I assume the etac would not care about not being match to the ecu at that point yet. Will probably try that tomorrow.

Thanks y'all!!!!

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
Why do you have to change the ETACs unit? Can't hurt to try a different one, you can always plug yours back in. However, I've never heard of the ETACs unit preventing the car from starting. The immobilizer is it's own standalone unit, as long as the key, ECU and immobilizer box all match the car should run normally. I've swapped those between cars many times and never had to touch the ETACs unit.

However, I do know there are different part numbers for the ETACs module across years and trims, a LOT of part numbers. Not sure what the differences are though, as I've never seen one go bad so I've never dealt with them directly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Everything I have read indicates the key food is read by the etac and also shows that the etac is matched to the ecu so it has to be matched to the new unit. At leat 2001 AFAIK. As a matter of fact and if my memory don't fail me I did pull the etac out and could not activate the alarm. It might not be the etac but what I have learned is the etac for my Spyder is hard to find locally. So I want to be informed because if I need all those parts from the same vehicle I need to act at once. I had one of those in my hands a few months ago and did not got it thinking I could get it after. Haven't seen another etac with the same part number in months.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I can sell you a new one for $360 shipped or a used one for $180 shipped. PM me if interested

1 - 4 of 4 Posts