Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Based on your other thread, have you approached the tranny shop to see if they can clear it up? What code are you getting exactly?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The code says that gear ratio in 4th gear is wrong. I am not sure of the code number. If you clear codes the car will shift through all the gears and when it gets to 4th or od it just goes back to third and goes into limp mode

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Heres what we have so far from 3 threads of the same issue:

1. Lost in ECU land
I have a 2001 3.0 GT automatic. The transmission went out , took it to the tranny shop, ordered a used tranny, transmission shop installed it and now the code says wrong grear ratio. i have the info on the new ratio but do not know anything about flash and which if any software will let me change that in my ecm. Help!!!

2. ECM Help
Can anyone tell me if software exists that will alow me to update my gear ratio

3.ECU Ratio Programing
I simply need to find a way to change my gear ratio in the ecu. I have changed the transmission on my 02 eclipse 3.0 gt and the ratio is different.

I presume since it's a GT you have a sportronic?
Does it go into limp mode and code if you shift manually?
Have you spoken to the trans shop about this?
I know little about this subject but it sounds like they sold you a trans from a different year or from a 4cyl maybe. I'm sure the work wasn't cheap and they need to make it right.

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
Gear ratios are how large the gears are.... you can't change it via electronics. Why the hell are you trying to change gears? Especially in the auto.
The code shows up like "Gear Ratio 4 Incorrect" Kind of a misleading name I guess.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not trying to change gear ratios. They have about 5 different gear ratios in the automatic, the one that got installed is different than the original. So some how the ecu knows this and will not let the transmission operate properly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can anyone tell me how to possibly reset the limp or get it out if limp mode ? I think my cares in limp mode because I can't rev over 4000rpms/:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can anyone tell me how to possibly reset the limp or get it out if limp mode ? I think my cares in limp mode because I can't rev over 4000rpms/:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Solution

Fisher I had the same problem but it was my dumb mama bicho fault. I had messed with gears in the auto and it threw me into fail safe mode 3rd gear. To fix your problem You have to get a new ecu on ebay because its cheaper and you can find what you need. I had used the ecuflash edited my rom. I was like oh look cool gear ratio. I dont know what im doing for gears lets just play with it. Once i reflashed it my dumb behind put the car in fail safe mode because of what i did. Alo change tranny fluid at 80k. Reset your battery and get a neutral safety switch as well to be fresh. I hoped i helped and sorry for bad typing and grammar im puerto rican.

·
Registered
7 Posts
ok
Solution

Fisher I had the same problem but it was my dumb mama bicho fault. I had messed with gears in the auto and it threw me into fail safe mode 3rd gear. To fix your problem You have to get a new ecu on ebay because its cheaper and you can find what you need. I had used the ecuflash edited my rom. I was like oh look cool gear ratio. I dont know what im doing for gears lets just play with it. Once i reflashed it my dumb behind put the car in fail safe mode because of what i did. Alo change tranny fluid at 80k. Reset your battery and get a neutral safety switch as well to be fresh. I hoped i helped and sorry for bad typing and grammar im puerto rican.
How do you know which ecu to get there 3 or 4 diff gear ratios?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts