Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:mecry2:

So I went down to start my car after it had been sitting for about a week... It will turn over and over but wont kick. All the dash lights up, gauges are active, radio comes on, lights work, etc. But it wont kick over. I checked the fuses, it seems that the ECU (#13) keeps blowing every time that I turn the ignition over...

The car has tons of mods, however the ones that I noticed may be the problem are the extended O2 sensors. I have the Megan racing headers installed and had to extend the rear O2 sensors... I thought that I tied them up alright, but could a melted/shorting O2 sensor blow the ECU (#13) fuse?

Any help would be awesome!

Thanks,
Jesse:wavey:

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts
Absolutely. That is most likely the root of your problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
O2 sensors dont run enough current through them to pop the main pcm fuse... (usually), not to say that it could never happen but its unlikely.... that main fuse for the pcm simply supplies 12v to it... the module itself or somewhere in that particular wiring circuit is drawing too many amps.... most likely the module

·
54,424 Posts
O2 sensors dont run enough current through them to pop the main pcm fuse... (usually), not to say that it could never happen but its unlikely.... that main fuse for the pcm simply supplies 12v to it... the module itself or somewhere in that particular wiring circuit is drawing too many amps.... most likely the module
you're an idiot, the O2 sensors on the 3G eclipse...and 99% of cars on the road today have a heater circuit, which draws some hefty amps (for a sensor) to get that sensor to about 600F in about 30-60 seconds after a cold start. the heater circuit shorting WILL blow fuses of any size until you find a fuse larger than the capacity of the heater circuit wires. shit, a dead short on that circuit could blow 30,40, even 50 amp fuses all day long.

·
Zero Resistance, LLC
1,948 Posts
When i first extended my o2 sensor a few years ago, it was too long and melted to the exhaust. It blew every fuse labeled with an engine symbol.

As a side note, the wire that powers the ecu is not fused. That's why if you ever ground the MFI relay tree, you'll fry the ecu.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input!

:)
Thanks all for the input. Seems that the 02 sensors are definitely the problem. Seems that the headers are getting so freaking hot that it pulled the wires away from where they were attached and fused them on the cat. So there were about 8 wired fused together under the car, I would say that would do it! Still haven't tested it yet (battery is dead) but i am confident that was the problem...

Thanks again!
Jesse ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
SAME ISSUE!!

I also have a 2001 eclipse. I was heading out Christmas eve, when all of the sudden the engine died? When I got it towed home, the tow truck driver pointed out that fuse 13 was blown. So i changed the fuse and tried to fire it up, but blew in the ON position....So then a few days ago i unplugged the ECU and tested every harness that went into it. went to start it and it fired right up?? So then i was standing in front of it while it was running. and i went to pick up the fuse box and the engine shut off. So i know there's a short. I know that its not a sensor because it wouldn't have started. I checked all the wires around the fuse box and i can't find a bad wire. Cant find a wiring diagram for the year of my car eithier. But then another day i went outside and i moved the Fuel infector relay? and it blew fuse 13 whithout the key being in the ignition. Im so lost hope you can help!!

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Any finds? Running into the same.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts