Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Stock N Slow...
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched, and could not find anything conclusive on this. I recently purchased a 01 MT ECU from a GS I believe with the intent on using it to flash-tune. I've read that in the 2001 model year, some were fed-spec(non-flashable) and some were cali-spec(flashable). How can you tell which it is? If it helps the part number on the ECU I bought is MR514267.

Sorry for the n00bish question, but this has been bugging me. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
27 Posts
How do I tell if I have Cali or Federal emissions?
(8/06/2001)
There are two ways to do this.

On the GT, the easiest is to slide under the front of the car, near the passenger tire. Look up. If you see a big bulky rectangular thing with some pipes coming out of it, you've got Cali emissions. If don't, you've got fed emmissions.

The second way involves looking at some numbers and appears to be valid for 2000 model year Eclipses only. Pop the hood of the car. There is a sticker on the firewall behind the engine. It's behind the intake plenum, on the plenum's passenger side. On that sticker is a series of numbers and letters. If the 2nd to last number is a 9, you've got Cali emissions. If it's a 4, you've got a Fed spec car.

There may be a third way, though there hasn't been enough discussion to determine the accuracy of this method. Pop the hood and look along the fuel injector rail. If you see a wire bundle, you've got Cali emissions. If you don't, it's a Fedederal emissions vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
How do I tell if I have Cali or Federal emissions?
(8/06/2001)
There are two ways to do this.

On the GT, the easiest is to slide under the front of the car, near the passenger tire. Look up. If you see a big bulky rectangular thing with some pipes coming out of it, you've got Cali emissions. If don't, you've got fed emmissions.

The second way involves looking at some numbers and appears to be valid for 2000 model year Eclipses only. Pop the hood of the car. There is a sticker on the firewall behind the engine. It's behind the intake plenum, on the plenum's passenger side. On that sticker is a series of numbers and letters. If the 2nd to last number is a 9, you've got Cali emissions. If it's a 4, you've got a Fed spec car.

There may be a third way, though there hasn't been enough discussion to determine the accuracy of this method. Pop the hood and look along the fuel injector rail. If you see a wire bundle, you've got Cali emissions. If you don't, it's a Fedederal emissions vehicle.

He is talking about a GS, not GTS/GT/RT.

Easiest way is just to hook it up and try to flash it.

·
(b)org banugee
4,549 Posts
There's a sticker right on the underside of the hood that tells you. Just read it.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
He's not asking if his car is a fed spec or cali spec...he's asking if the ECU he bought is a fed spec or cali spec...

·
Stock N Slow...
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He's not asking if his car is a fed spec or cali spec...he's asking if the ECU he bought is a fed spec or cali spec...
El Correcto! My car is a 2000 Fed-spec GS. I bought a (hopefully)2001 Cali-spec ECU. I'm just trying to verify that it IS flashable. Guess I'll have to wait until my Tactrix cable gets here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts