Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2003 spyder gt 3.0 L
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after some more fixing and double checking everything came to the conclusion when my battery was hooked up backwards it fried as well. Question is can I use an ecu from a Gt for my spyder Gt ?

· Registered
2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 5spd
54 Posts
So after some more fixing and double checking everything came to the conclusion when my battery was hooked up backwards it fried as well. Question is can I use an ecu from a Gt for my spyder Gt ?
That should be alright since I have had personal experience. My situation was the opposite since I used a Spyder GT ECU in my GT. The ECU is shared between the two models anyways. Depending on your build date/model year, you may need to source an immobilizer ECU as well. I'm not sure what year model you have so I'll cover as many bases as I can.

Here is some info on 2001 Spyders (From TSB TT-133-13-002):
"If the vehicle's production date is early July 2000 (07/00 on the door jam sticker) or earlier, the 5th, 6th, and 7th digits of the VIN are E35 or E55, and the fuel cap is a screw-on type, treat this vehicle like it is a 2000 model which would require Immobilizer ECU replacement when the PCM (ECU) is replaced."

Otherwise, if you have a 2001 model with a build date later than 07/00, then you just need to replace your ECU. Only replace with another 2001 ECU because 2002+ uses a different camshaft signal and you will run into check engine codes and limp mode.

If somehow you get your hands on a 2000 model Eclipse ECU, or if you have a 2000 model, verify that you are getting the right ECU since there are Federal and California emissions models.

If you have a 2002+ you should be fine as long as it's not a GTS ECU. I'm not aware of any pin differences on later model Eclipses.

Finally, you'll need to re-register your keys to the ECU so you will need to either visit the dealership/locksmith or find a way to delete it through ECUFlash. The latter is somewhat difficult and has been discussed on the forums. I personally did not delete the immobilizer so I do not know of any useful information.

· Registered
2003 spyder gt 3.0 L
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the detailed info I forgot to give the year which is a 03. I am going to buy one of the kits online with the imoblizer and the key and ecu to just get it done and over with. Just didn’t know if there was a difference in the pins between the spyder gt and the gt Thanks again for the help

· Registered
2001 Spyder GT. Koni adjustable shocks. cold air intake, ST sway bar.17X8.5 rims. LED headlights.
756 Posts
The Spyder designation just means it is a convertible. I have one of those early "FED" cars, even though it now resides in California. Apparently, there are minor emissions differences between the FED version and the CAL only model. They dropped the CAL version early on. My door sticker says June 2000 but it is said to be a 2001 model. It has never been much of an issue when getting parts. ...J.D.

· Registered
2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 5spd
54 Posts
The part number on the ecu do I need to buy another ecu with same part number or could I get one that’s from the same year and trans
So Mitsubishi has tied each model year to a specific part number. 2003 has its own and is different from 2004 and 2005. I did look up the pinouts of the ECU of 2003, 2004, and 2005 and found them to all be identical. I did mention 2002+ above for ECUs being similar but it turns out with the introduction of the GTS in 2003, there seems to be an extra pin used for MVIM (variable intake control for GTS models).

As a side note, you could theorectically use a GTS ECU since they share the same pinouts. My assumption is that the extra pin for MVIM is disabled in software on the GT ECU since the part numbers differ. Flashing a GT ROM on a GTS ECU would turn it into a GT ECU if that is correct. Using a GTS ECU without doing that will turn your SES light on for P0660 (Variable Induction Control Circuit Malfunction), unless you plan on swapping in the GTS intake plenum :ROFLMAO:

I'm fairly certain you can run any 2002+ ECU in your Spyder GT just as long you program your keys to the new one. You don't need to get a matching immobilizer ecu with the new ECU.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts