Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been running with ECUFlash for some time now, and was once pondering this idea, and its about time I think it should be revisited.

The Evo guys, I've read somewhere, are using the ECUFlash software to turn off certain CEL's for the O2 sensors. Now if that is reality, the possible capability's of this are immense, as we could adapt this to turn off whatever CEL we want, keeping cars that need this emissions legal almost no matter whats done.

A good example is the 5spd swap guys. I'm coming from the galants on this but most have swapped to a 99-00 ecu as they wont throw the codes that newer ecu's will, but at the price of being flashable. I have an 01 that flashes fine, and I dont live in a state that does any sort of inspection/ testing for anything emissions related. So I havent had the need to swap my ecu. I'd be willing to test out to see if its possible for ECUFlash to be used to turn off the transmission CEL's caused by the swap, and I think that would be a huge development if sucessful.

However I dont know enough about computer programming to do such a thing. Which is why it'd be nice if someone could help me with this aspect.

Any takers. :bigthumb:

·
Just Married 05-15
1,755 Posts
I've been running with ECUFlash for some time now, and was once pondering this idea, and its about time I think it should be revisited.

The Evo guys, I've read somewhere, are using the ECUFlash software to turn off certain CEL's for the O2 sensors. Now if that is reality, the possible capability's of this are immense, as we could adapt this to turn off whatever CEL we want, keeping cars that need this emissions legal almost no matter whats done.

A good example is the 5spd swap guys. I'm coming from the galants on this but most have swapped to a 99-00 ecu as they wont throw the codes that newer ecu's will, but at the price of being flashable. I have an 01 that flashes fine, and I dont live in a state that does any sort of inspection/ testing for anything emissions related. So I havent had the need to swap my ecu. I'd be willing to test out to see if its possible for ECUFlash to be used to turn off the transmission CEL's caused by the swap, and I think that would be a huge development if sucessful.

However I dont know enough about computer programming to do such a thing. Which is why it'd be nice if someone could help me with this aspect.

Any takers. :bigthumb:
Turning off the O2 sensor checks will cause you to fail your Inspection since your Cat Test will not complete. There are a few other things that can be disabled. Currently there is easily over a 1,000 possible bit combinations that will disable and do different functions. It takes time ad guts since turning off and on certain things in the ECU can damage the engine and the ECU.

If you want to just disable the CEL, then just remove the light, since its better to do that than to disable it through the ECUFlash. Either way is not a good approach since then you won't know when something is wrong.

Tell me what the code is and I'll check if it can be disabled. Also are you going from Auto to 5spd?

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts
Tim has already performed the swap.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well if its possible to turn off a specific CEL such as P0740 Torque Converter clutch circuit malfunction.

I have a list. I'm also not worried about passing emissions since I live in a state that does not testing.

My CEL has not turned off for well about 8-9 months now, so I'm used to just hooking up the scanner to see if it throws something.

Basically I'm willing to work with someone to figure out how to turn these codes off to allow those who need them to stay off to use a flashable 01+ ecu.

And I've been 5spd for about 8-9 months now.

I have in addition to the previous P0740 a:

P0750
P0755
P0760
P0765

·
Just Married 05-15
1,755 Posts
I'm sorry I haven't found the bit that disables it, but I have an idea that can remove that problem. Also if you want I can just give you an MT ROM of the year of your car with the immobilizer deleted and that will remove the code from popping. I know thats more like a patch than a real solution, but its an option that will permanently will remove the problem. You can also flash your original rom back to the ecu whenever you want too also.

·
Boosted
3,815 Posts
I'm sorry I haven't found the bit that disables it, but I have an idea that can remove that problem. Also if you want I can just give you an MT ROM of the year of your car with the immobilizer deleted and that will remove the code from popping. I know thats more like a patch than a real solution, but its an option that will permanently will remove the problem. You can also flash your original rom back to the ecu whenever you want too also.
LOGIC is the man!:wiggle:

·
Zero Resistance, LLC
1,948 Posts
Flashing an auto ROM to a manual ECU will not work. Have you done it the other way around?

·
Just Married 05-15
1,755 Posts
Flashing an auto ROM to a manual ECU will not work. Have you done it the other way around?
I though he went from auto to manual? If there is no wiring difference on the plugs in the ECU from the manual and the auto it should work fine. What else would he need?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I though he went from auto to manual? If there is no wiring difference on the plugs in the ECU from the manual and the auto it should work fine. What else would he need?
Unless I'm reading the schematic wrong, the connectors that plug into a PCM from an auto/sportronic equipped car are not the same as the connectors that plug into the ECU of a manual equipped car...

The PCM connectors (auto/sporty) have 3 rows of wires/terminals

The ECU connectors (manual) have only 2 rows of wires/terminals

EDIT: Since he's throwing a torque converter code, I'd guess that when he did the manual swap he left the PCM alone...otherwise, why would he have a torque converter code with a manual ECU? :scratch:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hadnt thought of using a manual rom on the ecu. In theory it should work as the ECU is running less with the manual than the auto, if it runs the engine perameters then there should be no problems. I might have to try that.

Logic, if you have a rom you want to send to me I can figure out all the hexdecimals for the immobilizer to make it match my origional. I'm also thinking the unit code will be important as well.

If this works it will solve my problem. No light and use of the CEL for real issue's, instead of ones that dont matter, and I caused.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I hadnt thought of using a manual rom on the ecu. In theory it should work as the ECU is running less with the manual than the auto, if it runs the engine perameters then there should be no problems. I might have to try that.

Logic, if you have a rom you want to send to me I can figure out all the hexdecimals for the immobilizer to make it match my origional. I'm also thinking the unit code will be important as well.

If this works it will solve my problem. No light and use of the CEL for real issue's, instead of ones that dont matter, and I caused.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but to change a "new" ECU/PCM to match your old immobilizer wouldn't you just have to take the code you can pull up in ECUflash from the old one and copy it over to the new one? I had mine deleted, so I never actually tried it...:scratch:

·
Just Married 05-15
1,755 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but to change a "new" ECU/PCM to match your old immobilizer wouldn't you just have to take the code you can pull up in ECUflash from the old one and copy it over to the new one? I had mine deleted, so I never actually tried it...:scratch:
Well in reality the immobilizer is disabled not technically deleted. Like a port getting disabled, but it can be enabled again. This is not the same as resynchronizing the immobilizer+key+ecu. I have never tried to insert the old immobilizer data with a new ECU like copy/paste so I don't know about that.

Autox... I can disable the immobilizer on a MT GT ROM and send it to you. Just let me know your email and the year of your car. If it doesn't work, as of getting codes etc then just flash your original rom back to the ECU. If it does, then we have some what of a patch fix. If anyone thinks otherwise post up and say why, that way we don't loose efforts with this approach and try something different.

Edited:
About the plugs I understand they are not the same AT/MT but the wiring and pin assignment seam to be the same with the usual differences for AT/MT. If wrong someone correct me, since I haven't really played around with the AT to MT ECU wiring, etc.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Well in reality the immobilizer is disabled not technically deleted. Like a port getting disabled, but it can be enabled again. This is not the same as resynchronizing the immobilizer+key+ecu. I have never tried to insert the old immobilizer data with a new ECU like copy/paste so I don't know about that.

I can disable the immobilizer on a MT GT ROM and send it to you. Just let me know your email and the year of your car. If it doesn't work, as of getting codes etc then just flash your original rom back to the ECU. If it does, then we have some what of a patch fix. If anyone thinks otherwise post up and say why, that way we don't loose efforts with this approach and try something different.
I think that's worth a try...my concern would be any different pinouts for the MT...I know the right PCM connector has different pinouts for autos and sporties, but that's it, so maybe the rest would work alright...only one way to find out...:ugh2:

Oh, and yeah...I know the immobilizer wasn't actually deleted since I didn't remove it from the car...the startup immobilizer check was disabled...sorry for the misleading statement, and thanks for the correction...:bigthumb:

·
Zero Resistance, LLC
1,948 Posts
Yeah, it's definitely worth a try. But, like i said earlier, I wanted to test some changes I made to an auto rom. So, I flashed it to my manual ecu and it wouldn't start. I know you are doing it the other way around, just don't be surprised if it doesn't work.

Also, I flash everything I can get my hands on to my ecu. I've flashed it with car running, stopped a flash in progress, you name it i've done it, just so I could see what happens. I haven't hurt the ecu yet. So, no need to worry when trying new things. Even a locked ecu can be unlocked.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
[email protected] is me e-mail, flash or logicgate feel free to e-mail me stuff that might help with the CEL's.

Its pretty much just the auto transmission code's that I'm looking to stop as I think I've made clear.

The car is an '01 ES V6 so that should help match a rom file.

I'd almost be curious to try swapping in the unit code and immobilizer into a different rom and see if that works as well. I do know that changing them can be very handy to keep people from driving your car when you dont want them to.

·
Just Married 05-15
1,755 Posts
Well just emailed you the rom. Please let us know the outcome. Also please don't share the rom even if it works, at least not yet. If it works consider it a free modified tuned rom. There are people that work on providing rom modification services and such.

About the immobilizer code, theoretically sounds like it should but the checksum might not match. It might need to be recalculated, if the rom works, then will move forward into testing your theory. I really hope this works since that will fix that problem for many doing the swap.

Edited:
About Flash's comment on the flash process is 100% true. Your not flashing the CPU or any other component of the ECU, just a small chip inside the ECU that is an EEPROM. Its like random access memory (RAM), but read only memory (ROM). Its like flashing a picture into a film. Once its processed you can't erase the picture from the film or damage it by exposing it to light. The same principle, we are just "flashing" (electronically) a new logic circuitry (picture/image) structure into the inside of the chip. When you see the ECUFlash going through the flashing or downloading process imagen your looking at a box with hundreds of small boxes. The data you see scrolling through the ECUFlash during the flash process is the address of where each block is located and the data content (or new content being introduced) inside that particular location.

Then it checks the content if its flashed correctly by making a SUM of all the data in each section to match what we have in our rom file. If they match that means the burn to each field was done properly. If there was a problem, then fine! Just flash the rom again or the original working rom. The CPU and other components will be happy to work on your request. I'll copy and paste this into the ECU Flash and Tuning thread so you guys can have it there.

Edited:
The email didn't go through. It said the email address doesn't exist. Will try again.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got the e-mail, it looked strange, but I figured it was from you. I dont know why it wouldnt have worked. Ah, I found the problem.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I got the e-mail, it looked strange, but I figured it was from you. I dont know why it wouldnt have worked. Ah, I found the problem.
:scratch: Care to elaborate?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have half of tomorrow off, so I'll flash it then, since I'll have time to dick around with it. The cars getting a washin' and a reflash.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts