· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Year: 2003
SubModel: GS
Transmission: Automatic [unfortunately]
Miles: 150.000

Hey All,

I've picked up a ' 03 Eclipse GS. I've come across some issues i haven't been able to figure out why it has been happening.
Every time i start the car or turn around the ignition, the primary safety features [such as blinkers, windscreen wipers and lights] won't turn on if i turn them on.
When i turn the car off, and turn it back on, they do work.

What might be the cause? As checked it's deffid not the Fuses.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance

· Registered
2001 Spyder GT
558 Posts
Is the problem intermittent where you have to cycle the key multiple times to get things to work? Or is it always bad the first time, and always good the second.

Are there any other systems that are behaving this way? The wiring diagrams for all three (blinkers, wipers, and lights) involve the "front ECU" and the "column ECU", and maybe the ETACS-ECU. If there's another system affected, it might help narrow down the problem to just one of the three.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the problem intermittent where you have to cycle the key multiple times to get things to work? Or is it always bad the first time, and always good the second.

Are there any other systems that are behaving this way? The wiring diagrams for all three (blinkers, wipers, and lights) involve the "front ECU" and the "column ECU", and maybe the ETACS-ECU. If there's another system affected, it might help narrow down the problem to just one of the three.
It's mostly good after the second time but sometimes even then it won't work. Had it last week that i turned the car on, electrics didn't work, tried again, they worked and the next time they didn't again
It's currently only the Wipers, Blinkers and lights [except for the big lights].

The Dashboard lighting hasn't even worked yet, while the lights and the fuse are both good

· Registered
2001 Spyder GT
558 Posts
It's currently only the Wipers, Blinkers and lights [except for the big lights].
Ok, which lights don't work when the wipers and blinkers don't work?

Also, the next time the wipers and blinkers don't work, open the door and try to make the door chime activate. If your no-wiper-no-blinker problem also includes the door chime, that points strongly to the ETACS-ECU.

It sounds like the dash lights never work, so that's probably a different problem.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, which lights don't work when the wipers and blinkers don't work?

Also, the next time the wipers and blinkers don't work, open the door and try to make the door chime activate. If your no-wiper-no-blinker problem also includes the door chime, that points strongly to the ETACS-ECU.

It sounds like the dash lights never work, so that's probably a different problem.
All lights except for the high beams don't work.
I'm not quite sure what you mean with the Chime [English as 2nd language]. I'll make sure to check that in the morning as it's close to 2am right now

· Registered
2001 Spyder GT
558 Posts
I'm not quite sure what you mean with the Chime [English as 2nd language].
I'm talking about the bell that rings when you leave the key in the ignition at ACC with the engine off and open the door. I think the bell also rings when you take off your seat belt or something. That bell is controlled by the ETACS-ECU. So if the bell stops working when the other things aren't working, that points towards a problem with the ETACS-ECU.

I'm looking for things in common to the affected systems. Also for things that are unique.
  • Wiper circuits pass through the Front ECU, ETACS-ECU, and Column ECU
  • High beams circuits pass through the Front ECU, ETACS-ECU, and Column ECU
  • Turn signals pass through the ETACS-ECU and Column ECU
  • Key/door/seat belt bell only passes through the ETACS-ECU.

So, your symptoms all have the ETACS-ECU and Column ECU in common (and their connectors and wiring).

If the key/door/seat belt bell is a symptom you just haven't noticed yet, then the ETACS-ECU (and its connectors and wiring) is an excellent place to start troubleshooting.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm talking about the bell that rings when you leave the key in the ignition at ACC with the engine off and open the door. I think the bell also rings when you take off your seat belt or something. That bell is controlled by the ETACS-ECU. So if the bell stops working when the other things aren't working, that points towards a problem with the ETACS-ECU.

I'm looking for things in common to the affected systems. Also for things that are unique.
  • Wiper circuits pass through the Front ECU, ETACS-ECU, and Column ECU
  • High beams circuits pass through the Front ECU, ETACS-ECU, and Column ECU
  • Turn signals pass through the ETACS-ECU and Column ECU
  • Key/door/seat belt bell only passes through the ETACS-ECU.

So, your symptoms all have the ETACS-ECU and Column ECU in common (and their connectors and wiring).

If the key/door/seat belt bell is a symptom you just haven't noticed yet, then the ETACS-ECU (and its connectors and wiring) is an excellent place to start troubleshooting.
Uhh lets state it this way. I've never even heard the bell 😂

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright i've managed to figure out when it happens.
And yes, there's a bell, i just thought u meant someting else

The lights, blinkers and wipers don't work when:
You start the car for the 1st time
You pull out the key and put it back in and start it again

So everytime you put in the key the blinkers, wipers and lights don't work

The bell always works

1 - 8 of 8 Posts