Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey whats up this is really embarrassing , ok i have a AEM cold air intake system, and i was wondering , when its time for a tune up, must i replace the filter, or can i manually clean it, making it virtually new? thanks guys, dont bust on me for this one haha <3

ps the cone, reaches completely under the car, and just about 12 inches from the left front tire, im assuming i would need to lift the car to get to the filter? thank you

·
Banned
18,282 Posts
Buy a K&N Filter Recharge Kit. It's basically a cleaner, you rinse out the filter and then re-oil it and you're done. You should do this along with each oil change.

Just follow the directions.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks man, i bought the car 60k miles on it, now theres 69k have not cleaned the filter once, also noticed my gas millage was declining

·
I hate stance
10,295 Posts
I don't think I cleaned my intake since I bought it like 30k ago. It's been on and off with the turbo's too. :lol: oh well

·
Suk me balls
4,973 Posts
Spray the cleaner on the outside of filter let sit for a few and then rinse from inside out, make sure to oil it after.

·
Douchecanoe
1,729 Posts
If you have an AEM filter, check to see if it's an oil based or dry flow. I know they're using dry flow filters now and if you use the K&N cleaner, you'll fuck up the filter.

If you just flat out don't know what type of filter you have, call AEM - (310) 484-2322

·
Registered
34 Posts
if u wanna be jewish and not pay for a new filter u dont have to...but u will have to eventually...for now i would just spray it with air filter cleaner and clean it with an air gun...and no u dont have to jack the car up to get to it undo the intake where the part with the filter connects to where the MAF is and just pull the bottom piece out where the filter is...that easy at least with my injen one, dave (04gsna) has an aem one and it looks exactly the same so i dont see why that would be a problem
-Matty

·
Old Skool Member
1,027 Posts
As you know by now, K & N sells a recharge kit which has the spray cleaner and oil for it. You can do it as often as you wish but depending on your driving conditions, you might want to do it more often then not. Ive done mine a few times, usually once a year or so. It says its good for 100K but dont go by that judgement. Since yours is also a CAI, like mine, the easiest way to get to the filter is from underneath the front. You're gonna have to unscrew a few of the plastic screws that secure the scuff plate underneath though. Most times mine are hard to unscrew, so I just cut them off and use new ones when Im done (I ordered a bunch from the dealership cheap). If you need further help, just ask, or IM me.

·
Trip Like I Do
10,371 Posts
if u wanna be jewish and not pay for a new filter u dont have to...but u will have to eventually...for now i would just spray it with air filter cleaner and clean it with an air gun...and no u dont have to jack the car up to get to it undo the intake where the part with the filter connects to where the MAF is and just pull the bottom piece out where the filter is...that easy at least with my injen one, dave (04gsna) has an aem one and it looks exactly the same so i dont see why that would be a problem
-Matty
:bombinsert:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts