Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
n00b
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!

Did a search but couldn't find any discussion about this. So in the future I might be FI'ing my GT but I really can't decide which way to go: to turbocharge or to supercharge :confused: I guess my biggest concern is the emissions since I live in a country where emissions are checked periodically.

I know that while using RIPP's SDS along with their headers that have cats on it, you have a slight chance of passing the strict emissions check in California and other states, right?. But what I would like to know is if you have a chance of passing the check with turbo installed? The turbo eliminates the pre cats so you'd only have the main cat doing the emissions stuff. Is this enough? I know that the pre cats are there only to clean the emissions when the motor is cold and when everything warm up they do nothing but eat up horsepower and block the flow of exhaust gasses.

I also know that the A/F ratio plays an important role too, but in overall is it possible to pass emissions with turbo installed? The cars here where I live are emissions tested with a motor warmed up.

Also if anyone knows the CO, CO2, HC, etc. limits for Cali emissions I'd appreciate letting me know.

Thanks!

·
Kampfbereit
17,852 Posts
In order to pass emissions for a turbo setup, you also need to be internally wastegated as well. This basically means, all of your exhaust (including the exhaust not driving the turbo) needs to go through a cat then out of your tailpipe. Just like any stock car. A lot of us turbo guys are externally wastegated and violate all sorts of emissions standards.

·
Registered
648 Posts
:agreed: especially externally wastegated AND catless

·
Registered
648 Posts
:lmfao: I'm guilty too

·
Wanna be my Sheep?
8,255 Posts
Alot depends on how your county does its emissions testing too. If your county is like many, the sniff test is not required and they just do an OBDII code scan. If you are not throwing any codes and the OBDII emissions parameters are in spec you're good to go. If they make you take a sniff test, as long as you're internally wastegated and/or have a cat you have a chance to pass depending on your tune. If they have a visual inspection as well, you'll prolly fail

·
n00b
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Matt said:
Alot depends on how your county does its emissions testing too. If your county is like many, the sniff test is not required and they just do an OBDII code scan. If you are not throwing any codes and the OBDII emissions parameters are in spec you're good to go. If they make you take a sniff test, as long as you're internally wastegated and/or have a cat you have a chance to pass depending on your tune. If they have a visual inspection as well, you'll prolly fail
Actually they have all of this. They do OBDII code scan, sniff test and visual inspection. However, most of the time they have no idea what they are looking at. When I first brought my car to inspection the inspector, get this, looked under the hood for a while and asked ME if it was force fed in any way :)

The second time I did it just a few weeks ago I went to a different place. The guy there looked under the hood for a while and the only thing he asked about was the VIN number. This other guy helping the inspector looked at my CAI and asked me if it was a dump valve :confused: I was like WTF and told that no, this car is naturally aspirated. You should've seen his face. He seemed to be shocked to notice that a car like mine was NA :D

Since Eclipses are not sold here they know absolutely nothing about them technically. I guess I could just throw in a turbo and they would never know if it had a turbo when it left the factory.

·
n00b
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tearstone said:
You probably will not pass Cali emissions, (too strict, hence CARB certifications) not necessarily federal emissions ;)
Fortunately I don't have to pass the Cali emissions here. We have our own limits which are not as strict as in California. I just don't know how much different they are.

·
Ripped Evo
1,178 Posts
Rulez said:
Even with the SDS, you will need to get headers and remove the stock precats.

Neither system will allow you to pass emissons.
Ripp's Headers have precats on them. Then you add a High Flow.
I'm having new heat sheilds made just for NJ's DMVI.
The emissions are good.

·
My luvly manly lump!
2,438 Posts
It's funny you say what you say about inspections over there in Finland, dude. :D Around here, inspection kiosks usually just hook cars up to the necessary hardware and do away with the interrogation. Numbers will tell all tales. However, there are a lot of places where you can get "the hookup." It's not like officers, when they pull you over, are going to ask you if your car passes emissions if they already see a sticker on the windshield. Most likely, you'd find a lot of shops with "ASE Certified Tech" plaques and logos filled with people who know jack squat about anything other than OE config cars... just as you would a ricer and a carbureted classic/muscle car.

I know it's unethical to even go with the question, "Can you get the 'hookup' over there in Finland?" :)

·
n00b
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Slippercream said:
It's funny you say what you say about inspections over there in Finland, dude. :D Around here, inspection kiosks usually just hook cars up to the necessary hardware and do away with the interrogation. Numbers will tell all tales. However, there are a lot of places where you can get "the hookup." It's not like officers, when they pull you over, are going to ask you if your car passes emissions if they already see a sticker on the windshield. Most likely, you'd find a lot of shops with "ASE Certified Tech" plaques and logos filled with people who know jack squat about anything other than OE config cars... just as you would a ricer and a carbureted classic/muscle car.

I know it's unethical to even go with the question, "Can you get the 'hookup' over there in Finland?" :)
It's pretty much impossible to get a 'hookup' over here I think unless you really knew someone doing inspections or had a good luck bribing one ;)

They have a pretty good system for inspecting cars. I mean EVERY car is checked once in a year for a lots of things, not just emissions. They go through all the bits and parts of your car to see if they're within specs. And a funny thing about force feeding your car is that it's not only a question about emissions. You're not allowed to put an aftermarket blower on your car unless you do a VERY expensive and extensive emissions testing (over $1000) AND get a dyno sheet to prove that the added power doesn't exceed 20% of your original 200hp :mad:

It's funny, I've always wanted go by the law when modding my car, but it seems to be impossible to do anything at all. I'm now thinking of going the other route and trying my luck ;)

·
My luvly manly lump!
2,438 Posts
:lol: well technically, you could get within 240 WHP with a simple, low-boost setup... that's 20% of the stock 200 CHP :lol: I dunno what to say, man. There may be other ways of controlling your boost, i.e. an FMU and a good electronic boost controller. I would venture to guess that the more advanced Greddy Profec e-01 could be programmed on the go to lower boost dramatically from whichever boost level you set as optimal, to a noisy low 4 or 5psi, via the solenoid and the wastegate. You know even the e-Manage is programmable, so you can save different low and high boost settings upon base tune and apply before going to get your sticker :)

Hope that helps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts