Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Stocker
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Say that title 3 times fast.

Alright y'all, I got a concept that, in my head, makes sense and theoretically should work but I want y'alls background and expertise on it.

So, if a platform shares engines, or similar engines, how interchangeable are the components?

I remember seeing that the 4g63 and 64 had interchangeable parts that you could put into the 64. I've also heard of different LS engines being able to accept various platform components (i.e. LS1 accepting LS2 Heads, intakes, etc.)

The reason I ask this is because my car (Hyundai Azera) shares the exact same engine as a Kia Stinger, except mine isn't turboed (similar to 2JZ-GE in the IS300 and and the GTE in the Supra) and it is mounted differently so I couldn't just swap it . But, if I just take all the parts from the Stinger, couldn't they just get dropped right into my engine? Or am I crazy?

Obviously money yeah, ecu tune yeah, transmission stuff is different yeah but I'm more so looking for a proof of concept

·
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi
3,051 Posts
You really need to go to either Kia forum or Hyundai forumsto see compatibility options. While Mitsubishi partnered with many other car manufactures create the "world engine" class (like the 4b11), they may not have the compatibility that a single car manufacturer may have with its own class of engines.

·
Stocker
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You really need to go to either Kia forum or Hyundai forumsto see compatibility options. While Mitsubishi partnered with many other car manufactures create the "world engine" class (like the 4b11), they may not have the compatibility that a single car manufacturer may have with its own class of engines.

Thanks for the reply! As for the forums the Azera forums are basically unactive and uninformative since no one has really done anything with this car in America (and even Korea hasnt done too much with it that I can find), the Stinger forums are something I need to spend more time in to see what I can find.

I will say however everything SEEMS similar, the bore x stroke is the same, displacement is the same, the block and the head are the same, but the compression is different with the Azera being 11:5:1 vs the Stinger at 10:1:1 but they achieve that with a shorter stroke, thicker head-gaskets, different heads, different pistons.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts