Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok...let me try to make this as short as possible. I'm an idiot an let the car run out of gas about a month ago...well, it wasn't completely out, but what little was left was frozen in the lines. I got her filled up and life was good for about a week. I then started getting alot of sputtering, little to no power response, almost stalling, and a check engine light. The code was P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected. Unfortunately, its doesnt always do this. Ive only ran into the issues maybe 3 times since. Ive cleared the code, and it hasnt come up since. I also added a fuel injector cleaner, and some dry gas, as to help the fuel system since I ran it out of gas. Im hoping i just fowled up the injectors from running it out of gas, and this we'll do the trick...like i said, so far, so good. But im wondering if anyone else has ran into this issue, or had any other ideas for me to try out before i hit the roads long distance this holiday. im a little hesitant to do so right now....thanks!

·
stupid booster
7,219 Posts
wouldnt hurt to do a tune up. Its a 2000 so change out the plugs if you havent already and the next tank of gas run premium.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it has been awhile since i changed the plugs. I plan on doing that, as well as new ignition wires in case any moisture got in them. not likely, but could cause issues.....

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I would try with adding iso-heet to your fuel (I don't know if that's what you meant by dry gas). In a fuel tank, if there's any water, it will settle to the bottom. And if you ran your tank down that low then it probably sucked up some water. Also what adds to the diagnosis is the fact that your fuel lines froze. Gasoline doesn't freeze until some hundred degrees below zero. Also, a little bit of water in your fuel will cause misfire.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, the dry gas is just like the iso heat product. its an alchohol additive to get rid of any water in the tank.....

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Water can ruin a lot of things. Fuel pump, injectors, seals, anything in the combustion chamber, o2 sensors, cats, gaskets, etc. I would try a plug change and premium gas as stated above and start from there.

·
Suk me balls
4,973 Posts
How do you guys run out of gas?? That always puzzles me. I've been driving for 18 years and not once did I run out of gas. Thats not good , all the crap on the bottom of your tank is now circulating thru your system.

·
(b)org banugee
4,549 Posts
The real problem with letting the car get that low on gas is all the particulate sludge that sloshes around in the bottom of the tank gets sucked in. On a lot of cars you could just replace the fuel filter, but on this car, it's INSIDE the tank.

·
Registered
92 Posts
yea, i always fill my car up once it hits a quarter tank left. I had that same misfire problem. its def the spark plugs and ignition wires.

·
We are...Penn State
2,503 Posts
How do you guys run out of gas?? That always puzzles me. I've been driving for 18 years and not once did I run out of gas. Thats not good , all the crap on the bottom of your tank is now circulating thru your system.
I actually ran out of gas once in my old '87 Blazer. I had just filled up not too far from my house but forgot to put the gas cap on and on that old blazer there was no cover over the gas tank hole..so I had gas pouring out the side of my truck the whole way down the road. I was out of gas in about 50 miles, I was getting about 3 miles to the gallon, haha

·
(b)org banugee
4,549 Posts
I have to agree with some of the others -- try the easy stuff first and hope it works. Replace plugs and wires first, which I believe also takes care of the coilpacks on the 4 banger. If that doesn't solve it, then start worrying about the more difficult/expensive things.

·
54,460 Posts
do you often run it low on gas, even if it doesnt run out? if you do then you've probably done in the fuel pump. fuel is what cools it, little to no fuel means poor cooling, heat is the enemy of electrical devices.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I knew the fuel filter was in the gas tank....what about the pump? something to think about changing? and no, i dont usually run it this low on gas, but i have ran it lower in the past without a problem....so either it was just too cold for what little was in there, or my gas gauge isn't as accurate as it used to be (actually quite the possibility). So, worse case scenerio, what are some of the "more expensive" things i could have affected? I ran out of gas once before in a older carbeurated car and it didnt matter, but running out of gas in a newer efi car i hear is very bad though. why per se?

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
fuel pump is in the tank. I ran out in my truck, gauge quit on 1/2 tank. Ran out right in front of a Race Track, but not knowing that was the case, had it hauled back home.

·
54,460 Posts
yes, its bad because the fuel pump (like i said above) is cooled by fuel and is sensitive to being overheated. when ran dry they can fail in a matter of minutes and can usually only tolerate being ran dry one or 2 times before they fail.

·
(b)org banugee
4,549 Posts
The fuel pump isn't just cooled by the fuel, it's lubed by it also. Yeah -- they can go toast very quickly if run dry, but at least on the more modern efi cars, it will only run for a moment or two without the engine running before it gets shut off. As long as you didn't repeatedly turn the key with it out of gas, you may not have killed it, but you could have sucked in a lot of sludge.

You may have to replace:
Fuel filter
Fuel pump

Try just plugs and wires first -- they're a drop in the bucket compared to other repairs and you probably need to anyway.

·
54,460 Posts
well fuel pump on the 3G is really easy, its done from an acess in the car. alot less labor than if the tank had to be dropped. really, theres not much of that mythical sludge in gas tanks. i did a pump on a 88 volvo, the bottom of the tank was CLEAN. gasoline just isnt full of mud you know, its highly filtered before it gets into your car.

·
Registered
358 Posts
well fuel pump on the 3G is really easy, its done from an acess in the car. alot less labor than if the tank had to be dropped. really, theres not much of that mythical sludge in gas tanks. i did a pump on a 88 volvo, the bottom of the tank was CLEAN. gasoline just isnt full of mud you know, its highly filtered before it gets into your car.
that all depends on where you live. I bought a 99 tahoe a while back and the previous owners lived on a dirt road. there was almost a 1/4 inch of sludge in the tank, while my 86 saab, which was garage kept its whole life, if the tank was empty, you could eat off of it......... (maybe not, fuel tastes nasty).

·
54,460 Posts
he must have had an odd issue then, when you put the cap on the gas tank the fuel system is pretty much sealed and closed. only way that much dirt could get in would be if he was using old dirty gas from old containers, didnt have a gas cap for a while, or one of the evap lines under the truck was broken and sucking up dust.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
alright....here we go again. i replaced the spark plugs and noticed that in two of the cylinders there was oil. so i then replaced the valve cover gasket and the 4 gaskets around the spark plug stems. i also have added a second treatment of dry gas and fuel system cleaner. this is after two weeks of being for the most part fine. ut acted up for only a brief second the other day which is what spurred more work. now, she's worse than ever. only during acceleration though, so im leaning toward a fuel delivery issue, vs an electrical/combustion issue. unfortunately, the pump, filter, regulator and injectors all cost a small fortune! any ideas where to start, or for that matter, at least a good place to purchase any of these items at a reasonable cost? i have a 180 mile drive to make tommorow....i hope i get there and my fuel pump decided to give my engine gas for the whole ride!:(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts