Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a 01 spyder with the 3.0l 6g72. Has 99k on it, replaced timing belt with gates kit and wp at 80k, has newer plugs also changed at 75k with original platnum tipped ones, new dis,wires, motor mounts al around and half a dozen suspension parts, newer COMP brand stage 2 clutch with stock flywheel. Here is my problem, it seems like the rpms rocket up faster than they used to, almost like when a clutch is slipping, however i have tested the clutch with every clutch test i know of and it passed them all, replaced the axles thinking maybe one was bad, i hear everyone saying the diff is junk and i am wondering if maybe its the problem. I found no metal in the diff though when changing the axles and very little to normal metal shavings in fluid, I did hear like a clunking sound before all this started, but no leaks,holes in tranny,etc. car drives its just like driving with a bad clutch.. this is so annoying, please help!!

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
What do you mean RPM's "rocket up"? The clutch is either slipping or it isn't. If it isn't slipping and there's no grinding then you're imagining things because if something was broken in the trans it wouldn't slip it would grind or crunch or blow completely.

Perhaps with all that work you restored a few ponies and its simply faster.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well I thought about that, but it seems like you hear the power but as far as it hitting the pavement its not there, almost like its driving with one wheel.I mean I know before when i was going 30mph in 2nd my rpms where not at 3500. When I say rocket up, its like the clutch is slipping but its not. It's the weirdess thing I hae every seen and Ive had like 10 eclipses haha, blown trannys apart and clutches, axles and more. so i gues what i mean by it is the rpms will fly up but its like the car isnt catching up to it. Also it just started grinding 2nd, and sometimes 3rd and sometimes its a bitch getting it in 1st. So Im kinda leaning toward the tranny itself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts