Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize in advance for the long post, but i want you guys to know as much as possible so you can help me out. The other day my car wouldnt start at all, and it had been about 3 1/2 years since i changed my battery so i started there. I put the new battery in, it started fine, and i let it run for awhile. I thought the problem was fixed so i called it a night. Today on my way to work, it stalled about 5 times, but i was able to start easily in nuetral and get to work. As long as i was applying just a little bit of pressure on the accelerator it would run, but the minute i took my foot off it stalled. This was with the heat on though, when i turned the heat off, it would run without stalling. The minute it i turned the fan on it would stall, and my voltage would drop quite abit. So i thought maybe an alternator issue, so i got it down to advance auto and they tested the charging system and said the alternator was fine. Brought it back up to work, after again stalling several times, and started checking other things. I took off and cleaned all the negative battery connections and checked for voltage drops, but that seemed ok. then i checked my throttle cable, behind the intake manifold, and it seems a bit loose and unresponsive, but not so much so that i think thats the issue. to get a better look at it and make adjustments, i took off my cai. in doing so i noticed that the bolt in the side of the engine where most cai mount for support shares a spot for several ground wires. they werent in good shape, and one of them may not have been making contact at all. the one in question is the wire that plugs into a little black box, and the box has a spade terminal that is then grounded to the engine. that wire actually has 12 volts running through it, and the box brings it down to zero, then gets grounded. does anyone know what the hell that wires function is? Well, to try and wrap this up, i cleaned up those grounds, and adjusted the idle (not the actuall cable, but the phillips head towards the front of the TB), and life seems to be ok.....for now. Any suggestions if problems persist, as well as do you think what ive done may actually have fixed the issue? This depends somewhat on what the hell that wire does, so im interested if anyone knows....my car is a 2000 gs, about 95k miles, new spark plugs, vavle cover casket, battery. all belts are in good shape. only mods are a cai, cat back exhaust, all of which have been on the car for years with no problems.....thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
and by the way...i did do a search before posting this....and the closest i could find was a recent thread by mugennosora , but it is still unanswered and slightly different than my issue....that and i didnt want to hijack his thread....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts