Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
!NOTICE BEFORE YOU REPLY!
This post is now irrelevant to me. My car has been involved in an accident and is soon to be fully repaired by the good ol' Insurance Company.
So there is no need to reply unless you're seeking answers about this same problem yourself. If the mechanic tells me anything of use during the repair, I'll gladly post it here. Thank you.

Alright guys, I've searched and searched for solutions to this issue and only found one user with my set of codes: (http://www.club3g.com/forum/problem-reports/227978-2000-rpm-idle.html) - but my issues are a tad different and his solution is not a problem for me.

There's a lot of info and I'm learning as I go, so forgive any 'amateur' mistakes I may make/have made.

Here we go:

YEAR: 2003

SUBMODEL: GTS

TRANSMISSION: Sportronic

MILES: 140k

PROBLEM:

This car has had a generally rough idle since I bought it, a year ago. Over the year, it's progressively gotten worse and now erratic. Only lately have I had money to start fixing it.

I've done a few fixes (also listed below) like fully cleaning the IAC, Intake and Throttle Body, then finally replacing the IAC (since I was directed to this as one of the leading causes of idling issues with this car) and all of this did SEEM to smooth things out a bit, as seen here:

Idle Speeds BEFORE IAC Change
Neutral/Park: 500-600 RPM
In Gear: 350-400 RPM

Idle Speeds AFTER IAC Change
Neutral/Park: 600-650
In Gear: 500 (ON THE DOT)

She ended up falling back into her general behavior and even worse soon after, to the point where it felt like she would die, dipping to 300 RPM sometimes under heavy load.
Now I KNOW that I'll likely get hell for this, but I adjusted the Base Idle Set Screw up about a half turn to stop it from dropping so close to stalling at every stop sign/light. I haven't the money for a major mechanic visit and it was either adjust it up, or not have a reliable way to get to work.

So the adjustment did well for around a week or two, with lighter vibrations and the RPM's only dropping below 450 in gear for BRIEF periods of rough vibrations when idling for too long, braking hard or using heavier accessories like windows/moonroof/or air conditioning. Otherwise, she sat at about 600-750 during Neutral/Park Idle and 500-550 In Gear.

Then suddenly, things have become BAD.

Suddenly codes p0107, p0113, p0507 all hit me simultaneously.
After that, the car only idles like before occasionally (usually from cold start). Otherwise the RPM's have DROPPED as seen here:

Idle Speeds CURRENTLY
Neutral/Park: 500-600
In Gear: 100-350

As you can guess, the car can BARELY manage to sit idle in neutral/park without vibrating (which it NEVER did before) and idles in gear/crawls through parking lots like she's BARELY hanging on from stalling.

Each time I start it, I never know what to expect.
Some suggested to tap the MAF and see if it effected idle, which it generally does not. But during it's worst idle periods (150 RPMs or less), giving it a moderate tap/knock will nearly stall the engine for a second before reviving itself, and the SAME thing happens when closing the hood too hard (by that, I mean even just letting it drop) even when the car is idling as usual.

That lead me to believe that the MAF should be the next thing I replace, HOWEVER unplugging the MAF all together will simply jolt the RPM's down for a second, then return to it's usual erratic behavior; no change at all.

Otherwise, while driving she's fine, given a little lack of throttle response and occasional sputtering during gear shifts.

So, what is your input? Still the MAF? Maybe the new IAC is faulty? Vacuum leak?

MODIFICATIONS: NONE/STOCK

WHAT I HAVE DONE TO TRY AND FIX THE PROBLEM:

CLEANED INTAKE

CLEANED IAC VALVE

CLEANED THROTTLE BODY

REPLACED IAC VALVE

TESTED PERFORMANCE WITH AND WITHOUT MAF PLUGGED IN

BATTERY DISCONNECTED TO RELEARN IDLE MULTIPLE TIMES

CHECKED ALL CONNECTIONS BETWEEN INTAKE SNORKEL AND THROTTLE BODY FOR TIGHT SEALS

ADJUSTED BASE IDLE SET SCREW UP A HALF TURN

RESEARCHED ALL CODES, SEEKING GUIDANCE

1 - 1 of 1 Posts