Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so here is my situation. I bought my eclipse about 4 months ago and it has been driving great. Recently, the service engine soon light has come on. I replaced the gas cap after some testing and the light went off for a couple days. It later came back on and gave me the same code which is P0455 gross evap leak. I have read some other threads on it and it sounds like it could be a purge solenoid and im not sure where that is on my 2.4L '02 eclipse gs. I did some looking but i just cant seem to find it. please help this girl haha im still learning :)

·
Registered
666 Posts
Evap could be a couple different things. The problem I had was my gas filler neck was rotted out. There is a cover where the filler neck bends under the car, the cover gets filled with dirt and holds in moisture which eventually rots the filler neck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i found the solenoid so i just have to do some testing to make sure thats what it is. This has been a pain in the ass haha. I did replace the gas cap and it wasn't that so i have that crossed out.

·
Manual Swapped!!
5,977 Posts
Evap could be a couple different things. The problem I had was my gas filler neck was rotted out. There is a cover where the filler neck bends under the car, the cover gets filled with dirt and holds in moisture which eventually rots the filler neck.
That's was my problem too

·
Registered
791 Posts
No way! I found this on my car a month after I bought it. The stuff was so hard-packed in there I thought it was some kind of Mitsubishi sound deadener at first. :) Then I poked it with a screwdriver and found out it was just a huge pile of dirt/debris. Luckily mine didn't rot out, was a little rusty though.

I thought the previous owner backed the car into a muddy ditch or something :D glad to know it wasn't the previous owner, just a common issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
haha well the most common issues i have heard of were the purge solenoid going out and the filler neck but i dont know how to check either one. this car is still new to me lol

·
Registered
791 Posts
Filler neck is easy to find- it's back by the right rear tire. It's the same pipe that comes down from your gasoline door, just look under the car at where the gas door is and you'll find the filler neck pipe.

The pipe makes a slight curve (from going downward to going under the car), right by that curve is a little cover. Between the cover and the filler neck pipe shouldn't be anything- but there might be a bunch of sand/dirt there. You can poke it with a screwdriver, if it crumbles out easily, it's dirt and shouldn't be there.

([edit] You might have to take the rear tire off to see that part of the filler neck pipe)

But if your filler neck pipe had rotted out, you'd be smelling gasoline...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SO i just did a smoke test on my car and found that the leak was coming from the top of my fuel tank. Im not sure what it could really be but i guess ill have to drop the tank and find out unless anyone has any other ideas? :s

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeh. it is just kind of a headscratcher as to what it could be though. i mean its kinda weird that its coming from above the tank unless its like a hose or clamp or something.

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
Have you pulled the viewing window under the back seat? The grommet for the fuel sending unit could have rotted out or something (a truly amazing amount of dirt gets under there believe it or not) or a crack may even be visible from up there. You have to pull the plugs and hoses off the sending unit to drop the tank anyway so you might as well start there before doing the heavy lifting.

I had a friend whose grommet cut when he was doing the walbro and his leak was so bad it ruined his gas.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok so i did another smoke test and checked under the seat with it but i saw nothing. I did still see it coming underneath the car from atop the fuel tank so im guessing i will have to drop the fuel tank unless anyone else has any options..

·
Registered
791 Posts
Probably have a rust hole up there somewhere. Gotta drop the tank then, it's the only way... like Silvertune said, siphon out as much of the gas as you can (or just drive the car until it has 1/4-1/8 tank of gas left) to make it as light as possible. Hopefully it's not a major leak.

·
Registered
6 Posts
EVAP/Fuel filler neck

Was reading all here and wondered if anyone has tried this yet... my 03 GT has the clump o' dirt at the filler neck bend, where cover is. I haven't cleaned it out yet and don't smell gas. I'm thinking [hoping] mine isn't rotted thru. So, I bought the rubber sealer, Plasti-Dip and am going to clean the area well with vinyl brush and then alcohol cleaner wipe down, then spray on the rubber stuff as a "barrier". Anyone tried something like this, with good results? Regards.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Wait, stop - it's not a good idea! You'll just lock the rust underneath the plasti-dip and it'll keep rusting but you'll never see it. Just like when a car rusts underneath its paint or undercoating.

Best to use something like POR-15 because it will neutralize the rust permanently. I've used it before and it stops rust forever. Great for chassis restorations. Just don't get it on your skin/clothing, your clothing will stain permanently, your skin will flake it off in a week or so. (That means cover your face and eyes!)

Coincidentally I just bought some last week just to do the filler neck and the rear toe control arms and other minor areas under my car. A lot of rust showed up after this winter. $22 for the "Super Starter Kit" POR15 SUPER STARTER KIT - Black will be more than you need.

·
Paroxysm
243 Posts
Wait, stop - it's not a good idea! You'll just lock the rust underneath the plasti-dip and it'll keep rusting but you'll never see it. Just like when a car rusts underneath its paint or undercoating.

Best to use something like POR-15 because it will neutralize the rust permanently. I've used it before and it stops rust forever. Great for chassis restorations. Just don't get it on your skin/clothing, your clothing will stain permanently, your skin will flake it off in a week or so. (That means cover your face and eyes!)

Coincidentally I just bought some last week just to do the filler neck and the rear toe control arms and other minor areas under my car. A lot of rust showed up after this winter. $22 for the "Super Starter Kit" POR15 SUPER STARTER KIT - Black will be more than you need.
POR is awesome stuff... I second that suggestion :-D (My car club in the UK used it a lot, and was good for my area especially as it's on the coast).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts