Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what all you have to have to convert the stock front discs and rear drums of a 2000 GS to the Brembo brake setup of an Evo 8? As far as the front...I should only need the stock Evo 8 Calipers, mounting brackets, and rotors right? What all do I need for the rear? :confused:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any particular members posts I should search for? I found the GT conversion but that's not what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I own a 2000 GS and from what I've gathered from my search, I need to upgrade my rear drum brakes to the GT or GTS setup before I can add stock Evo 8 Brembos? Is this correct? What about the front brakes on my car...do I need to convert them to the GT or GTS setup as well?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And what about the e-brake and the rear dust shields? I read that you had to cut them off or something? And where does the e-brake cable mount?

·
makin territories
1,205 Posts
there is a reason no one is answering your thread. its because you are lazy. there are three threads about the evo brakes on the first page of this part of the forum. sooooo......... man normally i would just answer the noobs and get them away from making a whole new thread but damn this is ridiculous!

·
Premium Member
4,967 Posts
Yeah, search a little more and ask specific next. Everyone else try not to get O/T. There's still a slim chance this thread could go somewhere and be useful.

·
makin territories
1,205 Posts
Yeah... and the 6G74(if that's what you're running) makes GOBS of power and torque. :rofl::rofl::rofl:
ha i wanna see that stupid ass gs make over 220wtq at 5000ft elevation on a hot day (98degrees F) while overheating (engine temps were at 212F at the time of that dyno) fuckboy:fawk: you are obviously the village idiot if you are serious about your comment

·
Banned
4,408 Posts
ha i wanna see that stupid ass gs make over 220wtq at 5000ft elevation on a hot day (98degrees F) while overheating (engine temps were at 212F at the time of that dyno) fuckboy:fawk: you are obviously the village idiot if you are serious about your comment
This is NOT OFF TOPIC:flamed:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
oh and please take "torque" out of your avatar. nothing about the gs makes or simulates torque
It's in there because my bodykit is a "Torque". Have you seen the movie? Apparently not! And my motors undergoing an Evo 8 head swap, turbo, and stroker build so it'll be making good numbers soon enough just to let you know! And yes...I did do a search, but nothing I've read tells me what I need.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I'm leary about just "giving" you the info straight up. Not to sound like an ass (that's not my intention), but if you have searched the numerous threads about Evo brakes, and stock brakes, and stock-type conversions (i.e. converting rear drums to "factory" discs), then you should have all the answers you need. You would be able to tell that the Evo calipers bolt right up to the Eclipse spindles. My concern is that you think a mounting bracket is needed with the Evo calipers...this makes me think that you don't know a lot about brake systems, which is kind of scary...brakes are the one area that should not be modified unless you know what you're doing...if your brakes don't work, you put everyone on the road at risk.

To add a little education to this, so you don't think I'm just being a jerk, the Evo's have what is known as "fixed" calipers, meaning that the calipers bolt solidly to the spindles...they have built-in mounting bosses instead of separate mounting brackets...this is because they have pistons on both sides of the rotor, so the caliper can stay still while the pistons & pads move in & out. The Eclipse on the other hand has "floating" calipers...they use a bracket known as an "abutement" that the caliper mounts to with sliding pins, and which also holds the pads in place...as the pistons (which are only on one side of the rotor) move in and out, the pad on the outside is pulled by the caliper housing which slides in the abutement. In essence, the pistons in floating calipers move twice as far as those in fixed calipers because they have to pull both pads against the rotor.

I'm assuming you're having someone build your engine/turbo setup, and would be having them install the brakes as well (I hope). If you're planning on doing this yourself, I think that's great...as long as you take the time to learn more about it before you go buying parts. Do your research, not just about the application specific parts, but also how the systems you're planning on modifying work, then start looking into buying parts...but the research should be on-going and really never stop...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Most of my questions were answered by my search. I need Evo calipers, pads, rotors, and SS brake lines. All major duhs. But this is not what I was confused about. I was wondering what I needed to do in terms of the backing plates and the e-brake assembly? Do I need the Evo backing plates or the GT conversion backing plates? And I assume my stock e-brake cable will work?

And yes...my motor is being built professionally at TruMotorsports. They usually work on cars of the likes of the Lotus and other high horsepower builds. A motor is a ticking time bomb the way it is...I would not even consider doing it myself.

·
makin territories
1,205 Posts
It's in there because my bodykit is a "Torque". Have you seen the movie? Apparently not! And my motors undergoing an Evo 8 head swap, turbo, and stroker build so it'll be making good numbers soon enough just to let you know! And yes...I did do a search, but nothing I've read tells me what I need.
k i'll try to be nice...... one:i dont watch little sorry ass ricer/biker movies that make thirteen year old boys want to cream their pants, i watch best motoring and top gear, you know, what an ENTHUSIAST should watch. two: just because your motor is being built by some capital letter named shop doesnt mean you know whats going on. thats called a money pit, not an investment. and three: when you look at all of us that have done the full conversion (i.e. all four corners) we havent mentioned too much about the ebrake and all the little knick knack things because we assume that maybe you know how to work on your car and know the proper terminology for all the parts and have at least a general idea of how this shit works, thus advocating not going into the little details. try this instead of starting a whole new thread on something commonly done or searched, just add to an existing thread. i assure you that you will have no more troubles with things like this. can we move on? take a good look at kidney's post.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.