Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Generally Bitter Admin
28,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Autoblog said:

It didn't take long for Japan's journalists to get the new STI and EVO X side by side, and the results are now officially in. Tsukuba circuit regulars Kazuo Shimizu and Manabu Kawaguchi spent an afternoon thrashing around the notoriously twisty short circuit just north of Tokyo and here (drum roll please) are the best times they could ring out of the AWD rivals:

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X : 1:06:46

Subaru Impreza WRX STI : 1:05:95

So there you have it. The new engine placed further forward in the engine bay of the EVO X than in the EVO IX has indeed proven to be a handicap, while the STI's "wheel at each corner" longer wheelbase plus new double wishbone rear suspension has proved its worth.

Neither car is quite as quick as its immediate ancestor though.

·
is on a fitness kick
11,748 Posts
They're both shitboxes in the looks department.
complete CRAP

Admittedly, I like the old ones, but both of these straight up look like donkey dick.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
I still can't beleive the curb weight of the US Spec Evo X is low 3500 lbs for the GSR and almost 3600 lbs for the MR. They really should have considered doing what Subaru did with a 2.4 or 2.5 liter motor only for the Americas.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Because one would hope new models would improve upon the old ones, no? :sweat:
But it did improve in that the car is not as "shitboxy" anymore and has a much more liveable interior and ride. It's also much more rigid and safe with an additional 5 airbags. But all those improvements also meant an addition of a couple hundred lbs which hinders performance. I guess in the end not eveyone will be pleased although Mitsu probably will sell more Evos now than with the outgoing models.

·
F.U.B.A.R.
2,536 Posts
The evo looks sweet and the STI has always been faster on that track.

EVO / STI

2006 1:05:07 / 1:04:72

2005 1:04.88 / 1:04:17

2003 1:05:30 / 1:04:69

2001 1:05:17 / 1:06:56

1998 1:04:69 / 1:06:73

1996 1:07:00 / 1:05:92

1994 1:06:52 / 1:06:26

1992 1:10:90 / 1:07:99

Let's see now: The X runs 50% cleaner, better gas mileage, nicer interior, looks better (subjective ofcourse), stiffer chassis, GPS, heated seats, cruise control, S-YAC, SST (subjective), Hids, more hp stock, timing chain not belt, great sound deadening, handles better than IX or VIII.

Cons: IT WEIGHS 500 lbs more.

Ok want a fast car throw all the interior extras out and you wil get a 3200 lbs car with more hp(stock) better handling and better looks problem solved. :twitch:

:werd:Also, the EVO and STI aren't supposed to be about comfort and all that shit, they're supposed to be track cars.
Mitsu and Subaru get to decide that not us :(

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
:werd:Also, the EVO and STI aren't supposed to be about comfort and all that shit, they're supposed to be track cars.
I completely agree but the bottomline for Mitsu and Subaru dictates otherwise. Overall they both did a pretty good job in upscaling the car and only making it a tad slower than the previous models. People need to understand the new X and STi are still no slouches by any means. Plus the new stricter safety standards doesn't help with the weight issue either.

·
More guns than sense
38,301 Posts
I love how the new Scooby has gone from a multilink rear in the current STi back to a more "archaic" double wishbone setup :lol: I guess all the fancy MacPherson struts and multilink this-and-that can't hold a candle to the tried and true :p

1 - 20 of 35 Posts