Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
New Spyder User
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
I just bought an 03 Spyder and I plan on putting in a double-din HU and installing my ScanGaugeII in the clock pod. I also notice that the center tweeter is blown and I want to replace it with something besides the stock model, since everyone on these forums talks about running through 3 or more of them.

What size is the tweeter? A lot of threads here talk about buying a 3.5" tweeter and shaving off some plastic to make it fit. I'm assuming that the stock is a 1" tweeter with a 3.25" housing/horn but I can't tell without opening up the clock pod. Maybe it's a 3" tweeter with housing. Does anyone have the exact/approximate dimensions handy? I want to have all the parts ready so when next weekend comes I can open the dash and close it after just a couple hours. Does anyone have suggestions for a particular aftermarket tweeter that can fit right out of the box, after I solder on the Mitsubishi connector dongle? Or an easy fit? I'm not an audiophile purist--I just want something that works and won't blow out. Thanks so much!

FWIW: My instinct is not to just cut out the center tweeter. To my inexpert ears, this tweeter really helps the sound when the top's down.

·
Hammer Time!
18,119 Posts
Mine is disconnected. If you have quality speakers in your doors, with proper amplification, you don't need the center channel.

It's a 4" full-range speaker, not a tweeter. You can fit a 4" coaxial in there if you want, but make sure its 2Ω if you're running the stock amplifier.

·
New Spyder User
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks--I found a lot of references to it as the "center tweeter" but when I put "center speaker" in the club3g search engine I found links to a lot of info on the topic. No posts from the last few years with links to actual replacements. The 2Ω tip is great--I am using the Infinity amp.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was going to disconnect mine because it rattles, but may have found another way. It's a bit random, but I took it out and ran windshield repair resin around the cracked foam surround. The resin was absorbed into the foam and set in about 30 minutes in sunlight. Plugged it back in, no more rattle and keeping the original sound stage... we'll see how long it lasts, but there ya go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts