Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to take off my stock exhaust to make way for my new greddy exhaust but can't get the bolts to break loose. Ive got everything doused in WD-40. Anyother ideas?

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
PB Blaster and air tools.
:agreed: PB is good. I have also used "LiquidWrench" with some success. Air tools would make it very easy but if that is not an option then try this:

1) raise car onto jack stands
2) start car and let exhaust (and exhaust bolts/nuts) warm up
3) turn car off and immediately try to break the bolts/nuts free
*wear thick heat reistant gloves ad make sure you don't touch the hot piping

Also eat some Wheaties and put your back into it! ;)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Yes, the PB Blaster spray is very good stuff to use where there is rusty bolts probably better than WD-40

·
My snail is bigger!
1,154 Posts
WD-40 doesn't actually penetrate very well... purpose-made penetrating oils like PB Blaster are much better.

·
Banned
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i have tried the wd-40 and heating the last remaining bolt on the top of the muffler and it still wont break looose

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Breaker bar will fix all your woes..

I went to HD and got some pipe to fit over whichever tools I thought would need that extra "turn you mofo damnit".

·
Banned
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just got the muffler out. thanks for all the help guys. it was a bitch snaking it out.

·
Banned
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cheater bar hasn't doneuat and now problem.so after spending the entire afternoon and night we were only able to get the axleback portion of the exhaust off. the midpipe bolts are so rusted it's not even funny. we have tried everything. we just took a torch to them and then sprayed them down with penetrating oil and it still didn't break loose. we sprayed them down again and are going to let it set overnight. if it doesn't work I will be driving the car with only the mid pipe up to he dealership to let them have at it.if anyone has any more ideas please chime in.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
cheater bar hasn't doneuat and now problem.
I'm not sure what that means exactly...:scratch:

...so after spending the entire afternoon and night we were only able to get the axleback portion of the exhaust off. the midpipe bolts are so rusted it's not even funny. we have tried everything. we just took a torch to them and then sprayed them down with penetrating oil and it still didn't break loose. we sprayed them down again and are going to let it set overnight. if it doesn't work I will be driving the car with only the mid pipe up to he dealership to let them have at it.if anyone has any more ideas please chime in.
What penetrating oil are you using? If it's WD-40, that's not a penetrating oil...it's a water-dispersant (hence the name...it stands for the 40th formula they tried to develop a suitable water dispersant). As others have said, PB Blaster is one of the best. Also, as for the heat, what are you using to heat up the nuts? You need to use a high-heat torch, such as oxy-acetyline...heat up the nut until it literally glows red (you may also see speckles of bright yellow as you move the torch around...just don't melt it). You could also just try cutting the bolts off and installing new hardware...:ugh2:

·
Banned
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i have a high heat torch and i started by using wd-40 and am now using actual penetrating oil. i will go and heat these tings until they glow red and if they don't come off after this im gonna let the dealer cut em if thats what they do cause i dont have the tools to do it.thanks again.

·
Banned
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
oh also to remove the mid section you have to wrench on the nut and not the bolt correct?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
A breaker bar didnt work? Try a longer one. I have a few. a 2 footer, 3 footer and my Archimedes. A 5 foot "something is coming off" bar.

How do you have the car jacked up? With jack stands on full I can get the big bars in there enough to work.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts